mouse/pocket 22?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Sep 19, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I love mouse guns!!! I've got my cheapo Jimmy 22 but am really hoping to find something single action, ya know, with manipulatable hammer and all.

The only one I can think of would be the Astra Cub, which I'm close to pulling trigger on, but interested in hearing other ideers from more matured veterans.

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

LCP, that tiny package packs a lot in

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, been there, done that, but DAO. I'm looking for SAO. Thanks though man!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The smallest .22 I have is a PPK/s (though not really a "pocket").

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'll even accept DA/SA, very much a fan of it! Wish Bersa made a smaller piece.

6. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I have a Beretta 21A bobcat in 22. I bought it because i always wanted one, and im very happy with it. Jusr need to use a nylon bore sized brush in between every couple/few mags and use quality ammo (federal bulk for practice, cci stinger if goin for a walk and worried about dogs). I noticed that cheap aftermarket mags suck, stick with factory mags. Also i get pretty good groups, even at 20 yards, they really help make you aware of where you need to improve. And if you wear a shirt with buttons, make sure its buttoned all the way up. 22 cases get hot and burn, even for guys.

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

North American Arms makes a very popular single action 22. They are kind of pricey but they are all that.

If your JA-22 is giving you a problem send me a message. It can be fixed if you are mechanically inclined. We can't get a thread going in the open forum without a pissing match with the haters.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

No, I love my Jimmy 22, it's been flawless, but its the chrome and the finish is something I wish to keep pristine, so I'd like to have something else for carry.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Have a look at the NAA black widow. the 3" barrel is awesome and the vent rib gives you a great sight picture.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Old Crow, but I'm a strictly semi-auto kind of guy. It's cool, I decided I'll just pick up another cheapie. It's not technically a mouse gun, but it is smaller than the Bersa and achieves my single action semi-auto needs, the Phoenix HP22A.

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I highly suggest a used Beretta 21a. You can get a good deal on one, say 150-200.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the little Beretta 21a as well. It has a good grip size and trigger reach. The tip-up barrelakes loading and clearing a breeze. The safety would also give you the option of cocked and locked carry if you wanted single action for every trigger pull.

I've had one since the early 1990s. It likes CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags. With that hotter ammo early in its life it now feeds most anything reliably. When it was new and stiff the hot ammo was a must.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Well, I just bought the Phoenix, we'll see how the wee SNS hopds up.

14. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

I have hp22, not a bad gun at all. Mine is jus for havin fun but as long as u keep it clean u'll be fine... If not expect fte,

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Just got it in, awesome little piece, but the takedown isn't budging at all. I'm going to fire it a bit and hope the recoil loosens it up and apply some oil then try again.

16. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Its a pain, u really have to push on it real hard. Its act up when it wants to. Some time mine moves ez other times it take min 30 min jus to get it off

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I put holes in my thumbs trying to do it, finally gave up. Hoping a box of rounds through it will provide assistance.

18. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

Look up some youtube videos, n when u go to pull da barrel off watch out for ur recoil spring. It will shoot across da room n u mit lose it. Watch a few videos first.

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Oh I did, before I even made my decision to purchase it. I always research every item before I act on it.

20. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

When I retired in the 80's I picked up a Baretta 21A. I carried a lot for 15 years. It was nice looking and grip size for that little .22 was perfect. It was very light and a pleasure to carry. The only problem with it was that it wasn't dependable enough for carry. It was fine for plinking at cans, or targets, but too undependable for self defense. I should've known better with my experience in LE to not have carried it after seeing it fail to fire on a number of occasions. That was a very big mistake and not smart on my part.

It always functioned well with Federal high velocity ammo, but I always had the concern in the back of my mind that it would fail when I needed it most. In addition that gun hasn't any extractor to remove the shell casing and during an emergency if the round doesn't go off you just don't have the time to put something through the barrel to poke it out.

The .22 is the most unreliable calibre there is and the added disadvantage of not being able to eject a bad round just makes it almost suicidal to carry in the role of a defense weapon unless perhaps you're carrying it as a backup. I stepped up to the NAA .32 loaded with Federal Hydra Shok ammo ten years ago with no failure to feed, or fire anything I put through it. It is larger and heavier than the Baretta was, but it's still small and what's more important it's been very dependable so far. In addition that round can definately cause damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012