Mounting flashlight to my shotgun barrel

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Mitch_C, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

I'm looking at mounting a torch to the bottom barrel on my double shottie. Will the mount effect how it shoots or do any damaged at all when the barrel heats and cools.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm gonna say don't do it. I'm not certain, but I think you might overheat the barrel. It just doesn't sound good to me.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Blueguns, he probably means a flashlight like a tactical light. If you could find one with a good solid mount, i would think it would be fine, but i have not tried this. I wouldn't think the shottie would be fired fast enough to worry about barrel heating.

If he DOES mean a torch like a flamethrower, he should be aware that flaming zombies will continue to advance while in flames. ;)

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Matt, you funny, veddy funny guy.
    Same thing came to mind when I first read the post.

To OP Mitch. I have used Blue Painters tape to hold a flashlight below the barrel of my .22 lr Bolt Action for nite time critters. Worked fine. You might need Gorilla Tape for a 12 Guage, but should work fine.

But Seriously, .... ..... What's the planned usage, duration of use and such.

5. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

yeah, but how cool would it be to shoot a burning zombie in the head.

I'll have to think about the flame-thrower thing. (Propane, with a oxygen cylinder, Plenum mix, Compressed Air to boost the mix while firing some slowburning powder. This may give the light needed.

6. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Sorry I should have specified I just ment a flashlight I modified the mount so the torch clips on and off but the mount stays attached. It's just a cheap mount off eBay. Two ring with rails on one of them. If that makes any difference

7. orangello

orangello New Member

8. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Hey mitch, ive been looking at those, are they any good? Id be puttin it on my mossy 500.

9. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Here is a pic. I've never tried to put one up before so I hope it works

image-509313445.jpg

10. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Now I feel kinda stupid. I guess that'll work, I don't think you'll have any problems.

11. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

I can't say how we'll it works on a shottie cause its actually my friends. But I use the same kit on my .270 mounted to the scope it works alright. I was advised not to attach it to the barrel because apparently the barrel whips when fired. But I was unsure if a shotgun did the same.

12. GunNut3123

GunNut3123 New Member

I have a cheapo light attached to my 880. It's not double or over/under, but I don't see any problem with it being mounted to your gun. Between the metal on the light mount mount and metal on the gun there is a rubber "shock absorber." Worse case scenario is that you're the fastest reloader in the world and that the rubber would melt...
    Amazon.com has a barrel mounted light w/ pressure switch for $30ish that you could try. If it works- great. If not, then your out $30 and you have the answer to your question.
    Lights on shotties are great- if your concerned with home protection and the sound of a barrel closing doesn't scare them away then a light or strobe light should get the point across. If all else fails, u can always pull the trigger and see if that does the job :)

13. GunNut3123

GunNut3123 New Member

I have to amend my last statement... I'm assuming ur talking lights. If ur talking fire---- well... Good luck

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Also takes the virus airborne

15. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

I live on Australia so were not allowed firearms for home defence. It was more for spottie shooting

16. GunNut3123

GunNut3123 New Member

So in Australia your not allowed to defend yourself, but u can spotlight? Here in the US that's called poaching.
    Either way you look at it, you'll be fine with mounting a light to the gun. Your not gonna hurt anything on your gun. As I said, worse case scenario you'll melt the mount.

17. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

No we don't poach. Just pest controll. Rabbits, Foxes, the occasional roo that sort of thing.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

"Poaching" is defined differently in different places and at different times. Your area is supposed to be overrun with rabbits; in much of the US, the overpopulated coyotes keep the rabbits in check.

In Mississippi (where i live) it isn't legal to hunt very many animals with a light (raccoons are an exception). I have spotlighted rabbits in my youth; the last time, i stopped to lose some water and saw eyes a very few feet away from my feet; i shot the eyes, which turned out to belong to a skunk. I learned my lesson. :D

Different places, different rules, but there is nowhere that is a good place to shoot a skunk.

19. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I have this on an 88 Maverick. Works fine. Use loctite, or keep in mind to keep the nut tight.

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a mount like that in the magazine tube of my Maverick 88. It is a one inch mount that fits 870/500/88 12ga magazine tubes. Most high intensity lights have a tube that is about to one inch. Ebay has a wide selection of lights and mounts (search for tactical flashlight in sporting goods). There is a "clamp type" mount for lack of a better word that goes on barrels.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012