Mounting a scope on Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by remi514, May 28, 2011.

1. remi514

remi514 New Member

Hey guys just got a new Mosin Nagant and it is my first military style rifle. It is a model 91-30. I know some people are going to be upset but I want to mount a scope on it so I can really rely on it for a hunting gun. I have been looking at the LER (Long Eye Relief) style mounts that go on the dovetails where the rear site mounts. So if I take off the rear site i can just attach to those dovetails. I was wondering if this was a good way to mount a scope and how sturdy it would be. I like this idea because then I don't have to drill the reciever and bend the bolt. Also if i do it like this i can always put the rear site back on. Furthermore I was wondering if you guys knew of a middle of the class scope with a lot of eye relief, I have even heard of using a pistol scope but I kinda want something with more magnification. Thanks for all your help.:eek:

2. Twnorman

Twnorman New Member

well, i'd be carful, if you put a scope on the nagant, you may need to adjust the bolt action to have a right angle. I don't know if your scope would allow your bolt to function freely.
    Secondly, you may have some more success if you get a russian built scope that was used for the nagant.
    Just my thoughts. I have one too, and i love it as an open sight rifle.
    What year is your rifle? I picked up a 1942 year.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You'll be fine! A long relief scope will set you back for a good one suitable for hunting. Don't buy a cheap scope!!

4. remi514

remi514 New Member

I got a '39. Bores in really good shape

5. shootingmad

shootingmad New Member

As Twnorman was saying, you may find the bolt will hit the scope and prevent you from being able to cycle the weapon. The original Nagants that were made into sniper rifles had a modification to the bolt. See Modern Firearms - Mosin for a picture.
    Good luck.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Numrich usually has turned down bolt handles. Easy to swap out

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If you use the "scout" scope mount you shouldnt have to bend the bolt, usually the scope will be forward of the bolt. that mount style is the easy way to go..

8. jpattersonnh

That is what the OP said!!! Does a single person actually read?????
    Long Eye Relief= scout mount!!!!

I can see the noobs, but you older guys really dissapoint me.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

the turned down handle is a good upgrade whether or not you got a scope

10. jpattersonnh

Hmmm, No! Sorry, I really dissagree. Original is better. The strait handle gives more torque for those pita shells.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i havent had that trouble, but im only 3/4 of the way through one battle pack. my sniper seems easier to cycle than the straight bolt on my other mosin. prolly cuz im not doing it right tho.

12. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

fill an empty shell with water and put it in the freezer.

take the shell out after an hour or so and chamber it

use a 110 mig welder to put a real scope mout on the sucker!

Purchase a bent bolt

you're welcome:D

13. Noffsinger

Noffsinger New Member

You can do both and more.

You can do both a bent bolt installation, (not required) and the "Scout" mount with an intermediate eye relief scope.
    I did a bit more with mine.

1. Swept back turned down bolt handle.
    2. Scout mount with NcStar 2x7 32mm intermediate eye relief scope.
    3. Boyd's Nagant rollover stock with roesewood forend and grip cap.
    4. Full length Acra Glass bedding.
    5. Morgan metal adjustable recoil pad.

Attached Files: