Mountain House Foods, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Feb 3, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm kind of old, so when I was in the service we had C Rations. MRE's didn't exist yet and freeze dried food in any form was still on the horizon.

I want to keep something in the vehicle for just in case and I'm thinking of either MRE's or some Mountain House meals. I have no idea if real MRE's are any good, although I guess they'll keep you alive. Mountain House products sound better than MRE's, but they seem overpriced.

I realize that staying alive is the number one priority, but if the stuff tastes half way decently, it's a big plus.

Help an old guy out here, what's your input ladies & gents?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

I have some Mountain House stuff but haven't tried it yet. It's reputed to be pretty tasty and it keeps for a very long time. For much of their stuff, you need water to rehydrate it and some kind of stove to heat it.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Some people really whine about MREs but in all honesty, they aren't bad. There are a couple that aren't good but if you read what's in them just use common sense and whatever you do, DON'T EAT THE MEATLOAF!!!!

The bad thing about keeping MREs in your car is that they don't like temperature change, it shortens their shelf life. I have 12 or 15 MREs that I keep here at the house in case of power outages or whatever but I keep them in a closet that's cool and dark. I would think that if you want to keep them in your car, freeze dried would be the way to go. Keep a couple of bottles of water with them and you should GTG.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Mountain House and MREs are both pretty good. Not EVERY menu item, but that is a matter of taste. MRE shortcoming- they like stable temperatures, and despite legends, do NOT have the shelf life of a rock. About 2-3 yrs max. Mountain House shortcoming- they need hot water, and a pack generally feeds TWO.

Possible alternative- recreate the C ration. Beanie Weenies, Fruit Cocktail, Pears, crackers. I keep a couple of 2 liter bottles of water in the toolbox of the truck (leave about a cup out of bottle, squeeze bottle to take out air, cap it, and now you can stop worrying about freezing and splitting) If you have source of hot water, hot chocolate, oatmeal. don't forget a spoon.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Don, you've been to Sportsmans or REI haven't you.:D

Mountain House is pretty good for for what it is. Much better than the MRE's I've tried. I tried some last summer when I packed into Desolation Valley and it was good to go. Also I keep some Tabasco, Lea & Perrins, and Tampatco hot sauce along with some salt and pepper in the backpack as well. Also try some of that Success brand Boil in the Bag brown rice. When vac packed it takes up very little space.

In the Mountain House you can get the single serving or double serving packets. Watch the calories each different meal provides as some are low and some are high in calories.
    Your daily exertion or work load will determine how much in calories you will need.

REI has the better selection on the shelf over Sportsmans.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. CA357

Thanks, now I've got some food for thought. ;)

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have a couple cans #10 of the Beef Stew, I had the smaller packs - very tasty! I did get a couple of boxes of Sure-Pal 12 Meals. Same with these - tasty, granted it is not home cooked like the wife wants; but, she might have to adjust. :rolleyes:

Last time I was at Sportsman's Warehouse, they carried MRE's in the case; question I had who was the manufacturer?

Also, I carry extra hot sauce - Tabasco and Louisiana Hot Sauce!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I tried some at the gun show and it was first rate, I did not get to see if any cheating was being done tho...

9. CA357

Okay, it looks like a taste test is in order. I have Zantac. ;)

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I don't have any of the #10 cans, but I have used the pouches and it is good stuff.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Of the commercially available dehydrated food, Mountain House is the best tasting. I have a large stockpile of it set aside, and use it for all of our backpacking trips.

12. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Your all Forgtting the main thing?

Hello all, RON L here'

I have tried Mountain House and several selections, Wal-Mart had of them, I liked them and stocked up on the ones I like but they do Cost a bit they are not perfect and folks if ua stock it, ya better make sure ya like it, especialy a that cost? LOL Just a Thought?

RON

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Food for thought..........

I've got a few qts. of purple hull peas that were canned in 1986 that you can try. The pickles from 1980 didn't pass the taste test. I tried all the mre's and only 2 or 3 were really good. My neighbor still has three cases left over from hurricane Katrina, and those were at the 5 yr. mark. We plan on canning every thing from the garden this year. P S I saved all the heaters from the mre's. Just in case all else fails.......... Good luck.:)

14. CA357

c3 suggested recreating the C rat, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm working out what to pack right now. They will definitely have coffee as well.

Then I'll vacuum seal several and throw 'em in my BOB. I'll post info and pics when I've got it figured out.

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

As for coffee you can get those freeze dried single serving coffee packs made by Starbucks at REI and I've even seen them in most grocery stores as well. It comes in several flavors and is pretty damn good.

http://www.rei.com/product/798950

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Folgers makes one that is pretty tasty. We use them backpacking and in hunting camp.

17. CA357

Thanks. I was thinking about the Starbucks VIA instant coffee, but I'm going to look at other brands as well.

18. freefall

freefall New Member

I have lived on Mt House for a week or two at a time. It's ok. I use Folgers instant in hunting camp where I don't want to invest time and fuel in making real coffee. It too is ok. I got a rally cool little titanium alcohol stove at REI. It cost too much ($30) but a quart of 90% rubbing alcohol is about $2 at walmart, will boil a lot of water.

19. CA357

I'm working on it. I have some stuff, but I want to refine it a bit more before I put it together.

I have those small Bumble Bee Chicken Salad & Crackers units and two types of Nature Valley Trail Bars. I want to add fruit of some sort, raisins or maybe one of those individual servings of peaces/pineapple or something like that.

I'll also vacuum seal a napkin and a plastic spoon into each one. Weight is a consideration, and I'm trying to factor that in.

So, to keep weight down. I'm also thinking of adding a Cup of Soup. The type that comes in its own sealed serving cup. You just heat water, pour it in, close the lid and in three minutes, you have a noodle/ramen type soup.

What do you think?

20. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Glad to see that your looking at weight CA. In my pack for backpacking I count gear and food weight by the ounces. I try to keep my pack weight to under 50 lbs. if I can.