Mount Rail for front sling swivel

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Commocarl, May 11, 2012.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I have been kicking this idea around for a bit. I have an oem wood stock on my mini.

If I installed a small mount rail just behind the gas block assembly. I could mount a 1 1/4 sling swivel and a bipod, without too much issue.

Any problems with this?

Anyone else done this?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Harris makes an adapter for their bipod that gives you the bipod and sling. I have mounted a scope base on my 10-22 stock and it works fine for a rail mounted bipod so I dont see why it would not work on a mini.

3. tri70

tri70 New Member

I have heard of several people using the Harris mount and it works well. I used a T nut from a local hardware store, I thiink the thread size is 10-32 on the studs. I drill a hole about 2" back from the gas block, inserted the T nut under the liner. I had to cut the stud length down a little so it would fit under the liner, then used loctite to secure.

4. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Gundoc has my rifle right now, so I am currently going through withdrawal (haha). I will have to look at the Harris adapter and the T nut.

Thanks guys!

5. kiwi5

kiwi5 New Member

I've put a small rail on mine, and will be attaching a clamp with a qd swivel for a harris bipod when I'm not using the "tactical" fore-end grip. The grip has proved it's worth when taking field shots from the seated or one knee positions. The suppressor is absolutely awesome I might add:)

Attached Files:

6. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I believe I will use the T nut idea. Thanks for that.

Since you won't be putting as much pressure on the gas block, does this help with accuracy?

Just curious.

7. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That's just cool. :cool:

And that picture is going to end up costing me a lot of money one day.

8. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I always like the the front vertical fore grip. It give you much better control over the weapon. Even though this picture is of the Mini-14's big brother (AC556), I do swap the stock to my Min-14 Ranch rifle some times.

Attached Files: