Mount Nikon P-223 3x32 scope on Mini 14 (582).

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by LocoTonyF, Oct 14, 2014.

1. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

Has anyone mounted the Nikon P-223 3x32 scope on a Mini 14 (582)? I have this scope. The scope is just a tad too short of tube to use the Ruger rings that came with the rifle. I have ordered this set of P Series Mounts in hopes it will work in conjunction with the cut-out type rail that came with the rifle.

Scope:
    http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/P-223-3x32-Matte-BDC-Carbine.html

Mounts
    http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Mounts-and-Mounting-Rings/P-Series-Mount.html

Anyone done this?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

2. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I just canceled (I hope) my order for the P-Series mount. Any rings that will fit the cutout rail with enough play to make the scope fit should work. Shouldn't it?

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Hawkguy claims is just as simple to put a scope on a mini 14 as a 10/22. I guess we shall see just how easy it is to put a scope on a mini 14.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

As far as I remember, the ring bases are closely spaced on the Mini. Surprised to hear any scope is too short... Any case, you can use an offset ring (or a pair) to space the rings closer. You will find them on the Ruger website, probably shopruger.com.

5. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

are you stalking me, john deer? :p i've had too many stalkers in this life.....all full, thanks! :p

i dunno if a mini is as "as easy" as a 10/22....my point was, it ain't rocket science to mount a scope on mini....well, for most of us anyways....:p

i agree, mr john deer, that certain optics CAN be problematic on the mini, due to the grand action....but most are easy or have simple solutions that can work it out.

6. hawkguy

i have a nikon 223 1-4 on my AR. pretty pleased with it.

loco, i urge you to REALLY consider warne QD rings. i cannot imagine you would ever regret it. they hold zero almost perfectly upon removal and re-attachment. this will make cleaning easier, and also allow you to switch back to irons in seconds. you can get them specifically for the ruger mini scallops OR to attach to your pictanny rail provided.

i think its one of the best investments you can make if you want to run a scope over the action on a mini 14. i'm going to use them on my AR also, as the QD mount i am using now is kinda cheap.

just my 2 cents.

7. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I'm looking up the Warne QD now...

8. hawkguy

well..read reviews and do your own research and decide. i feel they are a bit pricey, but imo i never regretted it one bit...they are worth every $.

also, if they work out....you could probably re-sell your ruger rings to re-coup some of the cost.

9. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

The Warne QD rings look like the way to go for sure. Not sure if I can afford them. The Nikon Pro Series rings didn't get canceled in time so I have those now too.

10. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

Hawkguy, what height Warne QD rings do you have or recommend on your Mini? I'm guessing model 201L?

Quick answer NOW!!!

11. hawkguy

return dem buggers, i say....:cool:

12. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

If I order the Warnes soon here, I can get them by Sat. Do you know if yours are low, med, or high size?

13. hawkguy

lemme check on that...i'll get back with you next week sometime....:p

14. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I'll be using the included rail...

15. hawkguy

the rings i got were warne part # 1RLM(listed as 1RL now on website)....medium height maxima QD rings for mini 14. that's for a 1" TUBE....THE 30mm is a different part#. these are the rings that fit directly on you ruger scope scallops.

here. scroll down to Ruger mini 14 and be sure you get the QD and the right ring size.

if you want to attach to your picatinny rail, then scroll down tothe maxima QD that say they fit picatinny/weaver and pic size and height you want.

http://warnescopemounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-Poster-Chart.pdf

16. hawkguy

mine are medium, and barely clear the irons, but this is mounted from the standard scallops, not the rail, which would add height....med should be fine, i dunno if you could get away with low or not.

201L seems right if you're gonna use the rail. that's medium height 1" QD that should fit a picatinny rail.

17. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

OK, just ordered the 201LM mediums to go on the included Ruger rail. Thanks for your help, Buddy! :)

18. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

So I'll get this stuff in and installed on the 14. I also got the Amega scout rail for the 30. I'm going to mount my Aimpoint on it. I have a torque screwdriver and scope levels on the way.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it all set up! :)

19. bman940

bman940 Member