Moulding Bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bizy, Jun 14, 2010.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

How many of you reloaders swage or mould your own bullets?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I cast bullets from .380 90 gr round nose to .45-70 340 gr. I cast my own slugs and buck shot, too. Got a question, I can probably answer it

3. bizy

bizy New Member

OK, how do I get the molds to do all that? Do you sell bullets or molds?

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

midwayusa.com has anything you could ever need. I pour lead for about 15 different calibers. Almost all of my molds came from midwayusa.com. They range in price from under $20 to over $100. I have a lot of Lee molds. No problems yet.

5. robocop10mm

I have Lyman and Lee moulds currently. I have used RCBS in the past and had pretty much the same results as with Lyman. The Lee molds are very different. They come up to temp very quickly, but overheat easily. I like to cast in volume and I have to slow down with the Lee molds. I cast from 9different handgun molds, 5 different rifle molds, single ought buck, 12 ga slugs and 50 cal muzzle load minie balls.

And yes, I do sell cast bullets.

6. res45

res45 New Member

I have two Lyman 38/357 160 & 150 gr. molds and three Lee molds,the two Lyman molds cost me $25 each with handles I picked up at a sale,still had the last bullets cast in them. The Lee molds cast bullets for my 30-30,300 Sav. 7.62 x 54r and X39 rifles as well as 9 x 18 Mak.

I do most of my casting in the late fall and winter when it cooler,noting like sitting over a hot casting pot when the heat and humidity becomes an everyday thing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Is it necessary to size the bullets for range fodder? I have been thinking of getting into casting my own.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sizing depends on what you are casting, and the mold. I cast .45 and .50 Maxis for a muzzleloader- they get sized when you push them down the bore. Most of my standard bullets are sized and lubed. However, Lee makes a "TL" mold. Means "Tumble Lube". After casting, put them in a box, spray with ALOX, shake gently, let dry, yer done. Mold number ends in TL to dessignate those.

9. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

10. patret

patret New Member

I have been casting bullets for about 35 years and even make my own bullet lube. I use candle wax plus either STP or synthetic motor oil. I have not had any problems with leading.

Pat

11. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

Well wait around long enough and even the the great robocop will have a Grammar issue. It was my duty to bring this ought. :D

12. patret

patret New Member

What do you use as a buckshot mould??

Pat

13. robocop10mm

Lee .312 round ball mould. I just cast up about 1500 over the weekend. I cast them a little hard (6 parts virgin lead and 1 part linotype). Pellets are 45 grains each. 12 to a shell. 1 1/2 oz + buffer (one .45 ACP case full).

14. robocop10mm

Just trying to improve myself here. What grammar issue? I failed to capitalize "single", but the rest looks OK to me even though it is not all in complete sentences.

Ought is correct

15. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

this is the problem ought is spelled right but the way you used it is wrong. single 0 and double 00 are numbers but i could be wrong it just stood out when i seen it and guys "like me who live in glass house should not throw rocks" but i just wanted to be right once

16. robocop10mm

Ought is the normally accepted spelling for buckshot. Yes it is also written as a zero, but pronounced by many as "ought". It is not "double zero buckshot". Nice try.

17. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

In Wyoming its its 00 buckshot , 0 horse shoes all pronounced ought but you win every thing is bigger in Texas

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Never heard of the 30 OUGHT six? Similar to Jethro of the Beverly Hillbillies that wished to become a "double naught spy".

I thought you were poking fun at the Brit spelling of mold. Being married to one, our kids still tend to add a U to color.

19. robocop10mm

I started to mention the double naught spy, but did not want to expand the arguement too much.

20. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I too have cast my own pistol and revolver bullets (mostly .44 and .45 with a few .38s) for over 30 years. They always shoot well with excellent accuracy. I like the Lee Liquid Alox bullet lube.
    I have also had good luck with reduced loads and cast gas check bullets in my M1903s.