Motor Oil for M1A Piston?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Lightbourne, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Lightbourne

Lightbourne New Member

Anyone know if some Mobil 1 synthetic will keep my Scout's piston healthy?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Synthetic motor oil is excellent for gun oil.

3. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

Yeah any sort of motor oil should work well. Think about the conditions motor oil is designed to be used in; Lots of hot metal sliding against hot metal, with carbon spewing everywhere, almost identical to what you would find in a semi-automatic firearm :)

4. Lightbourne

Lightbourne New Member

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The piston should be left dry.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm guessing GI's used just about any lube they could get their hands on.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dont oil pistons or inside of gas tubes!! Bad things happen. Ak47 are excluded from this as ar ar15 bcg.

8. Lightbourne

Lightbourne New Member

Any recommendations for a M1A Scout?

9. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Just my views and practices.

I use Mobile One as a weapons lubricant, a lot. The BCGs of my AR/M4s are 'wet' with it.

BUT, I don't put anything that will burn inside of a gas system. On a Garand this is the gas piston end of the op rod. On a M1A/M14, in the gas piston. For these areas I use 'Motor Mica', a dry non petroleum lubricant much like graphite.

I would rather have the piston dry than to burn any oil, make carbon and grind away.

Mobile One is great stuff. Might want to limit it in close fitting action parts if the weapon is to be subject to very cold temp, just on general principals.

Be safe,

10. Orlando

Orlando New Member

It is meant to run DRY,no oil of any kind

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Do NOT lubricate the gas system piston, with anything. This mechanism is designed to operate DRY. If you put a lube, especially one with the consistency of motor oil, you will have a baked-on coating on the piston. I am not against motor oil for the other moving parts, such as the op rod and bolt. In fact, tests have shown Mobile One to be an excellent lube for the moving parts of many gas-operated firearms. It adheres to metal surfaces real well. But, the lubrication process does not include the gas system piston of an M1A. Leave it dry.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

If you burn motor oil on metal surfaces it leaves carbon deposits.

13. zx9rt1

zx9rt1 New Member

Exactly this!