Most useful handgun.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, May 25, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

What do you consider the most useful all-around handgun? Not necessarily your favorite, but the one that would be suitable for the widest variety of needs.

My runner up would be a good .22 handgun, probably the Ruger .22 Single Six Convertable, as it would fire both .22 and .22 magnum; and in some circumstances it might be my first choice.

But I believe that if my worst nightmare came true, and I could only have one handgun, it would be a 4" barrel .357 magnum. I am going to guess that there are more loadings available for the 38/357 than any other handgun cartridge. This makes it possible to do everything from plinking to self defense to hunting moderate size critters.

I'm not saying that it's the BEST plinking gun; the BEST self defense gun; or the BEST hunting handgun. I'm saying that it's the best compromise for using for All of these uses.

But which one? I'm a big fan of the N frame .357's, and the model 28 might be my choice. A little big for carrying for self defense, though, although manageable with the right clothing choice. Another contender would be the Ruger Blackhawk, and if you got the 9mm/.357 convertible model, you would have even more flexibility (I can't vouch for this -- although I've had and have the .357 Blackhawk, never had the convertible). But, being single action, is it the best all around choice? Finally . . . the Model 19 Smith. I love the K frame Smiths, but they're a little lightweight for shooting the really heavy .357 loads. The best choice for self defense carry, though.

Okay, just between you and me (the guns don't need to know) if I had to pick only one, it would be -- by a very close vote -- the N frame Smith.

Although at the last moment I might forego cold, hard logic and just clutch a 1911 to my chest.

Anybody have a different canidate for the most useful all around handgun?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The best is what you shoot best. Now if I was to only be allowed one for some reason I'd probably have to have one of my 1911's or my 28-2 Smith N frame.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

For me, it would be my Ruger GP 100 revolver.

4. mattieb

mattieb New Member

I'm a Glock guy personaly and I'd go with the g30sf

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'd like to hear not just what your choice is, but why you believe it to be the all around best choice. Who knows, someone here could change my mind.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I guess my full size HK USP .40. It will take out any two for four legged animal I run across here in Germany. It is my sidearm while hunting, and the polymer frame means it will survive the harshest environment. It has been tested on the battlefield and in law enforcement and is known for it's accuracy and reliability. It is easy to clean and I can find parts easy in Germany. I can find .40 ammo as easy as 9mm ammo. I do think that gun choice is depended on the environment/locality.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Well, because it can shoot .38 and .357. It's a good self defense handgun, I could hunt with it, too. If I had to leave the safety of my home in a shtf situation and could only take one gun, it would be my revolver. It has a little bit of versatility to it that my other handguns don't have.

8. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

My choice would be a Sig P229 (I have a 226 but it's a little large for concealment)for the fact that simply swapping out barrels you can use 357.,40.,9.and if you wanted to shoot 22l. you can apply a caliber exchange kit.They are extremely accurate and function flawlessly(of coarse someone here may have had a different experience as to functionality).

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I did not choose my 226, because the 9mm is underpowered for larger four legged animals. If the question was which handgun to use in competition or for home protection (mag. capacity), I would choose the Sig of course.

10. rickster

rickster New Member

If shtf and I can only take one handgun, I would also grab my SW 357 mag, 6" barrel. Why, availability of ammo, sheer power and precision. I trust it will go bang every time.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Good choice, those things are really well built.

It's just history with these handguns that makes me lean to them. I've got 1911's here that have shown time and again their worth to me with countless rounds of reliable and accurate shooting. I am comfortable taking them down to pieces and fixing them. Parts are everywhere too. The 45ACP round is prevalent everywhere I'm going to be so it just stands out as a great choice. I guess id I wanted to stay wit ha 45ACP but have a revolver I do have a Mod 25-2 but moon clips and my only handgun just doesn't sit the best with me.
    So, if I was to keep jsut a revolver then the old 28 Smith would have to be the way to go. With the ability to use more than one type of ammo and the revolvers time tested reliability it would be highly sought after I would think in a one gun situation.
    I am a HUGE N frame fan. The reason I like revos like the GP100 are for the same reason. They are built like tanks! My two Smith N frames have very good triggers. The 25 is a little better in DA but it was tuned to be. The 28-2 Hwy Patrol revos are personal favorites for me. I prefer the not so pretty finish of the old workhorse. I remember when police carried them back when and I said as a kid that I would have one some day. My Dad has a few cop friends nad I got to shoot a couple as a teen. When I found one the money about started a fire coming out of my wallet it was so fast. It is a little heavy for carry for the average guy I guess but wit ha good belt and holster and the right dress it's not bad at all. I'm figuring that this One Gun Situation has caused me to leave in a hurry and I was only able to grab the one pistol. I'm not going to be concerned with hiding it all that much.:D

So that's it..In a nutshell the 1911 is easy to work on once you learn your way around it and the round is plentiful. Same for the N framed 357 but you get the added ability to use 38spl. I'd have no problem with either.

12. jdpz71

jdpz71 New Member

Mine would be either my Ruger Security Six .357/.38, but most likely my Glock 33. It shoots Sig .357 & also I have recently purchased a 40 s&w barrel & the 9mm conversion. So I have 3 choices of ammo. I haven't shot the 9mm yet because I need to buy mags to use the 9mm. The Sig .357 & 40 s&w both use the same mags. I can use up to 33 rd .9mm mags, 10 rd, 15 & 17 rd mag capacity. Great conceal weapon with grip Crisom Trace sights & good glow-n-dark fixed sights. You can even take medium to large game @ close range.
    It's not my favorite pistol, but with the dual ported .40 cal it's closing the gap on all my others. What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

"What's your favorite hand gun if the shtf?"
    Super Soaker,
    How else am I going to clean off all the s..t on the fan?:D

Attached Files:

• ss50.jpg
      ss50.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  14. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Ah, that would be another thread.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My SIG P226, 9mm.

Excellent defensive weapon,

will kill game if necessary,

ammo is available world wide, not just ion the U.S. and economical.

standard, or secondary standard issue of half the armies in the world and probably more than half of the LEAs worldwide

Magazines and spare parts universally available due to above.

accurate, low recoil easy to shoot and easy to conceal.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

226 is a fantastic pistol.I gave my daughter mine as a gift a while back after she said she was going to take it form me anyway..:D
    At the moment is is her "Only Pistol"

18. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Can't decide...for a wheel gun any S&W .357 with 4" or greater barrel.
    Reliability, stopping power and ability to use .38 or .357 give it high marks for versatility.

But for an auto I'd pick a Glock 17. The 17+1 of 9mm in the rock solid platform of the Glock make it hard to beat. 9mm is plentiful, offers good stopping power for most threats, ammo is cheap, the capacity is awesome, and it doesn't require much maintenance to make it go bang.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

They are quite awesome. But for someone who has only used DA/SA revolvers in the past, and currently a 1911, that gun intimidates the hell out of me to detail strip. Little pig tail springs and decocking lever... *shiver*
    I like it simple.

My go-to, end of the world, never gonna be able to get another, never getting a second, or back up... Would have to be a K or N frame .357 for all the reasons already stated.

Sadly, between that and my 1911, the 1911 would just have to be my second choice. I wouldn't want something that uses a removable feeding device that can be lost, damaged, or worn out in an EOTWAWKI situation. 1911 mags have to be some of the most prolific out there, but there's never a guarantee you'd be getting your hands on them.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Out of what I have I would have to go with my glock 20 first. High capacity and stopping power combined with a serious rust resistance as well as the fact that it can also double as a knife sharpener. Lol
    My second choice would be the single six for the reasons stated above as well as the ability to carry a rediculous amount of ammo.