Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by WebleyFosbery38, Jun 26, 2014.

1. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

My Dad was an English Teacher/ Poet and would have said that Shakespeare, Huxley and Bradbury were hugely influential to his mindset. My Mom the artist would have pointed at Renoir, Picasso and Dali as speaking her language and sculpting her life. I dont like reading that much and the beauty of Art is in the eye of the beholder, I see more beauty in a nice stick of old growth Oak than Whistlers Mom and I dont have time to read novels!

I was an emerging rocker in the 70's, I think the very best Rock ever produced came from late 60's and much of the 70's. I was one of those that would wear my vinyl out trying to hear and understand every word and note they sang and played. Those were very turbulent times and our nation and world were evolving every day, corporate mentality was on the rise and agrarian lifestyles had moved from a normal living to fringe.

This thread is about the "Most influential Album of my life", for me it was Pink Floyd, Animals! Talk about the cold hard facts, thats exactly what they did, illuminate the bold and cold new world we were all entering like lambs to the slaughter. 35 years later the song "Dogs" really incites my anger, more-so than the first time I heard it because its exactly what our society has evolved to. There are three types of metaphoric 2 legged animals that dominate this earth, Sheep, Pigs and Dogs! If your not one, your one of the other 2!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUPjteIxLZE[/ame]

"You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
    You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
    You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.
    And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight,
    You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking"

It was a real trip into the dark side of Humanity. Floyd did that better than nearly anyone else including Freud (Sigmund)! A close second was Genesis, Foxtrot. Dont even get me going on the unnatural genetic alteration of society were going through for our Own Good. If its not your food, its in those tubes of goo they inject us and our children with to fix what they perceive as faults in the human design. Just think how much we could save if every human was less than 4" tall full grown?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9MKJCc3dw[/ame]

"A carved oak table,
    Tells a tale
    Of times when Kings and queens sipped wine from goblets gold,
    And the brave would lead their ladies from out the room
    to arbours cool.
    A time of valour, and legends born
    A time when honour meant much more to a man than life
    And the days knew only strife to tell right from wrong
    Through lance and sword."

I know we all love all types of fun and interesting music but some of it goes further than just entertaining for me, it gives lessons we no longer get from the adults in charge of our planet. This thread is about bands, songs and albums that changed your life, let it rip kids!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Now you got me listening to Pink Floyed. I have always been a Pink Floyed fan. I remember the first time I heard "Dogs" for the first time, it was late one night and when I heard the dogs barking I had to look out the window to be sure it wasn't someone messing around outside, as it was around 2 to 3 am in the morning.
    I was never a musician but had a couple of friends that were. One was a basist, and the other a Keyboardist who had a nice older Hammond with a Lesli. Both of my old friends have since passed. Anyway I always loved Pink Floyed, Grand Funk Railroad, and Savoy Brown!
    I would say all three of them have had an influence on my life.

3. WebleyFosbery38

Immediately after writing the thread, I put animals on, so awesome. The dogs do sound like they are just outside the door!

4. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Dark Side of The Moon.
    Trippy then, trippy now.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

There are several that influenced my style of drumming as I was growing up in the 90's.

Failure
    Helmet
    The Police

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Best album? Oh man, I can't choose just one.

How about Gigantic Album? ... 64 GB of MP3s :D

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

up until about the mid 1970's i was more into country and western, and the older rock of the 1950's and 1960's, as that was what my father listened to. about the mid 1970's, because of being exposed to the more modern rock of the times, i have to say much of the newer rock came to be the prefered style of music i listened to.

i can't really say a particular album or artist was heavily influential to my life as i listened to a great many at the time.

Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Foreigner, Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Eagles, and so many others that i was listening to.

many of the groups and artists of the mid 1960's to the early 1970's i didn't even start really listening to until much later in my adult life. maybe becasue later in life i gained a different appreciation for the artists and the messages they were trying to convey in their music.

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

For me it is probably the "DIRT" album from Alice In Chains. With songs like "Rooster", "Rain When I Die", and "Down In a Hole". Its hard not to pick that one. Lane was a powerful vocalist, and Jerry is just an overall great music artist.

9. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was a kid, the only music I ever heard was country,, my father,, and my mother made us sit down and watch the Lawrence Welk Show every Saturday evening so we would quote " get some culture ". I saw The Beatles and Doors on Sullivan's show and though I could never hear them on the radio,, n.e. Ga. at that time had no stations playing that hippy music . I earned some cash chasing cows around for a local farmer and got a transistor radio and the single little ear plug phone. Late at night in bed I could pick up rock and roll,, I was amazed and hooked. No one particular album or group, too many I enjoy although the first 8 tracks I bought were Kansas, first album, self titled, Tull's Thick As a Brick, and L.Z. II,,,, all at one time at the truck stop,,, I still remember having to put the match book or the folded up plastic beer can holders under the tape so it would play properly.

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I don't know how influential they were on me but, ZZ Top's Fandango, Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic, and Earth, Wind and Fire's White album took a beating in vinyl, 8-track and cassette back in my youth.

The In the Flesh Tour concert I saw at The Spectrum in 1977, when Floyd was promoting Animals was topped only by Parliament Funkadelic's Mothership Connection concert I saw in the fall of 1976.

11. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

The first time I heard an entire Pink Floyd album was at this fellows trailer he put right at the edge of a pine cutover way the Hell back in the hills of Ga. Of course we were pretty sloshed and it was Animals,, still my favorite by them. I think the ambience of that guy's black lights, the eerie location,, way back in the woods,, put an extra touch on the tunes,, after Floyd, it was Black Sabbath, ELP, Hendrix,,, we went out there a lot until the dummy got thrown in jail,, we never heard why,, we lived in the next county.

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I am no musician so IMO meaningful albums are more about where you are in your life than any real musical genius. So I'll give this a couple answers.

First real holy crap, wow album was The Who's Qdadraphenia. Still wear it out today, and own the movie. I love Townsend as a writer.

Since then I'd say other albums that really wowed me the most were John Mayal and the Bluesbreakers with Clapton. Hendrix heard how Clapton played on that album and it influenced his style. That's saying something.

Just Won't Burn by Susan Tedeschi clued me into the fact that there are some really good females blues artists out there. Until that point I never gave them a chance.

Exile on Main St by the Stones was what it really took to get me to get into any Stones music. There more modern music doesn't do much for me, but their older music does.

I like Animals by Floyd and it is a mainstay of my collection, but for some reason The Final Cut was always my favorite Floyd album. But I may own them all so I am not too picky when it comes to them.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Animals for me as well. Although not regarded as a truly successful album at the time, it was clever, insightful, and truly a lyrical and instrumental masterpiece...
    That was the first whole album I purchased on iTunes! Have owned in vinyl, cassette, and twice in cd as well.
    I truly cannot change the station when it is playing and will remain in my truck until no longer on....perhaps sitting in the parking lot of my destination (yes, I'm THAT guy!)

"Hey, you White House.....ha haaaaa charade you are" :)

Disclaimer: I am not a musician, but I played one all the way through college, majoring in classical violin performance.

14. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Actually my first album was a bunch of 45s by Buddy Holly. First real album was Merle Haggard. It was a while back.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sarge we have a similar taste in music, as I see most of us on this thread. Growing up in the Bronx I got exposed to a lot of different genres of music. I put down the violin at 12(started with both at 5 & 6) to focus strictly on Guitar, and had to pick up the violin again for HS a bit . Again, I didn't get into Floyd until "Wish" came out. But 3 years earlier I was sitting intently with my radio shack headphones trying to learn every lick of Steve Howe from YES and the album Fragile. Right after that, Bill Bruford left yes to play drums in KING CRIMSON, and was a member on and off until his retirement from performing in 2007...although I'm still a YES fan, I miss Bruford's style of drumming. Wish I could see them this summer, but they are already sold out, even with another new singer( this one, Jon Davidson, is the closest to Jon Anderson in some time, which is why their set is still 80% old music)...I urge anyone who has never been to a Yes Show to go. If for no other reason to hear Steve Howe play(74 and still tearing it up!!). I saw then two summers ago, and even with only 2 original members,...(Howe and Bassist/Vocalist Chris Squire) they are amazing. I put Gilmour, Howe, Crimsons ' Robert Fripp, in the same level as Hendrix, beck, Clapton, and Page....Also, Asia is back together as well( last year they did a tour with YES, with Howe and Geoff Downes playing both Sets...) almost was a rocker, until I learned to make " music" with rotor blades....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  16. WebleyFosbery38

I saw Asia in a large school aud in Germany a month after their first Album went through the roof. They are fantastic! Yes I love Yes Also!!!

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Going For the One tour, in the round, at The Spectrum, in Philly, August 3, 1977.

Awesome!

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I saw the same show In Madison Sq. Garden earlier that tour.

I saw them in:1974 @ Gailec Park, Bronx NY(the Infamous "Outdoor laser" show) 1976 & 1977 @ MSG.,..then not again until 1984 with 90125(great show but :( no Steve Howe) 1988-Big Generator tour(sounded better live then on record,..still no Steve Howe) 1989 Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe tour(both studio and live album outstanding, the tour that made Squire tuck his tail and return) 1990(Union album),..Live tour was called "Re-Union" 8 piece band, Both Howe & Trevor Rabin on Guitar,..Bruford & Alan White on Drums, and Wakeman & Tony Kaye on Keys....saw it twice!!)
    1994-Talk, Last album with Rabin first Album to be recorded direct to a Mac Computer & Hard drive!
    1996-Keys To ascension1 & 2....
    1999 Homeworld(Ok album-Better Live-last of the "2 Guitar" yes lineups, Billy Sherwood split later that year, Wakeman's replacement Igor Korsharev split as well-Live album "Yes In the House Of Blues-New Years Even 1999" did and sold better..
    2001 Symphonic-recorded and toured with several different Orchestras, Video concert "Yes In Amsterdam" recorded with the Europe World Orchestra...Saw them on Long Island at Jones Beach Theatre that Early September, just a few days before 9/11......Long Island Philharmonic backing...
    2003 "sessions-live in Mountreaux" last album with sort of an original line up...
    2008-"yes at 40" concert tour,..
    2010-11 Toured with replacement singer for Jon Anderson after a "resperitory attack" left Anderson unable to continue...replaced by Benoit David,..did not fare well
    2012-Released "Fly from Here" based on songs Trevor Rabin, Goeff Downes, and Trevor Horn wrote in 1980 for Drama Album that were left off. Downs Returns to Yes, while both he and Howe play with Both Asia & Yes. Recruits Jon Davidson to be new singer
    2014-July Release of "Heven & Earth",..Touring Smaller venues, tour already sold out across the US...

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

For me, Abbey Road, by John Paul and George et al.