Most indestructable semi

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bostonscottkelly, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Who makes the most indestructable semi auto handgun? I am referring to the weapon that should outlast all others under extreme conditions with minimal maintenance.

2. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

3. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Get yourself a russian made makarov psm things so simple very little can go wrong, well made, caveman simple design, slightly lacking in stopping power though.

Never Forget.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The vast majority of current $300+ firearms are plenty durable. I suppose different types of guns would tolerate varying forms of abuse. So it really just boils down to what you are going to subject your gun to.

An alloy Sig, steel 1911, or other finely finished metal gun will be more prone to showing signs of cosmetic wear...but most will still be workhorses despite any abuse. Polymers are a little more able to take that abuse without evidence, which is why my "truck gun" is tupperware. I don't know that anyone could accurately claim which is the most durable between XD, H&K, Glock, FNP, M&P, etc...they all flourish in that regard.

I guess the simple answer is spend more than $300 and don't buy a Taurus. That alone will likely CYA. And then you can assemble a spare parts kit if you're really concerned about longevity. Or add a second similar model, so worst case you have at least one working and one parts gun.

5. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Ruger wins hands down

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Ruger's fine and all, but does any gun manufacturer on the planet have more recalls than Ruger over the last 5 years?

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

ACK!!!!! Don't tell me this. I LOVE my Rugers! :(

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You're a GP100 girl, which certainly is about as durable as it gets in that class. But this was semiauto question.

And Ruger semi autos are just fine, Rugernut's answer was silly though.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Their revolvers exempting the lcr are granite solid guns. Their semi autos... not so much.

I love the mark x series 22lr but i wouldnt call them rugged

For a proven durable design the 1911a1 and 1911 two world wars 2 more major wars some of which saw continous service from ww1 ww2 korea and vietnam before being replaced. Thats one helluva torture test.

There was one old horse in the arms room at my unit that was made in 1914 saw combat in ww2 vietnam and korea with the 25th infantry before being sold as surplus.

I seriously doubt any poly gun can hold up to nearly a century of uninterrupted service

10. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Sig, classic series, not those plastic things like the 250's.

11. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

+1
    1911a1 design.
    Many good manufacturers

12. rugernut

rugernut New Member

What recalls did they have

13. Werminator

Werminator Member

Rugernut... Have you read nothing of the SR9's development? How about the legal issues on the LCP? Ruger has had a number of production runs that resulted in various recalls and repairs... That said, though, I still have one pistol I would defend my life with and that IS a Ruger SR9!

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1 the 1911

15. Werminator

Werminator Member

The 1911 is a beautiful platform but let's not forget Chuck Taylor and the Glock he ran into the ground after nearly 170k rounds?!?!? Iam not a Glock fan boy but I have handled enough of em to know they will take a licking and keep on kicking (a$$)

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I have a S&W 5906 SS 9MM that served in the Wisconson Game Wardens arsenal for many years. Beat thru the woods for years, now gets shot by everyone and their brother and has never needed a thing except cleaning and lub.

Seems to eat any ammo I throw at it without a hickup and is still acurate.

17. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I second Sweeper's first post. Glock, XD, M&P, any of the big polymer guns can definitely outlast your children's children. I've seen USP's take beatings that I would never even consider trying on some of my all metal pieces.

18. unclebear

unclebear New Member

as much as I hate to say this Hi Point, ya some of them might have some problems but from my experience the C9 is pretty damn hard to break. I'm not saying they're the best but based on a youtube torcher test and personal torcher test it's hard to break them, ya I threw mine off a cliff about 90ft up and still worked well.

like I said they're not the best but if your broke like me you could get worse.

19. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Glock, Hands down.

20. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Glock! Wins everytime!