Most inaccurate .22 semi-auto

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by superc, Jun 18, 2010.

1. superc

superc Member

What is the most inaccurate .22 RF you have owned?

What was the story?

For me it was (and remains) my Remington Nylon 66 which groups about 18 inches at 50 yards from a bench, scoped or not. I bought it new back in the early 1970s. Back then it misfired every 2 or 3rd round with weak, very faint, firing pin strikes, so it went into a closet and I got something else (equally horrible and soon sold) until I got a round tuit. Many years (i.e., decades), much knowledge and significant tool acquisition later, I found a round tuit and returned to the 66 and diagnosed the problem as a manufacturing defect inside the bolt firing pin arrangement, unbent and removed the pointy little pins holding the cheap stampings together, and widened the breech side of the firing pin slot length a little less than a 1/16 of an inch. Reassembly and testing showed the gun now was infallible and 100% reliable with any ammo, even mixed brands and types. For the first time in over 30 years accuracy testing was now possible. Can't begin to express my dismay at the 50 yard 18" group results. Words fail. The bore is clean and the crown is normal. Back in the safe it went and sits while I ponder. Makes me wonder about the whole Tom Frye thing.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Back in the 80's we got a shipment of several hundred Chinese .22lr semi auto rifles in. They looked good and were smooth operating.

We were selling them for something like $59 and they were all steel and chu wood.

Then they started coming back and the owners were complaining about accuracy, so we took a few into the backroom range and they all keyholed at 50'. So we had our gunsmith busy all day re-crowning them and they were great after that.

If your 66 shoots that bad, I'd re-crown it. They are known shooters.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Military issue M16 rifle, firing 22 LR ammo (with adaptor) wrong bore size.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Huge +1 here. For a year or two the Air Force made us qualify with M-16s with these .22 adapters and it was EXTREMELY difficult to hit anything or fire more than 2 rounds consecutively without a jam...

5. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Superc, try different ammo - each .22 rifle has it's preferences.

As far as my least accurate .22 rifle, it's my 2003 production Ruger 10-22 Rifle - the birch-stocked, 22" stainless barreled "WalMart Special" sold only in their stores. I don't care for the Ruger 10-22 to begin with, and only got it to be a 'new' benchmark to test my older .22 rifles against. They nearly all outshoot Bill Ruger's baby......

I have two Remington Nylon 66 rifles - the Apache Black and the Mohawk Brown. The Brown is the nicest conditionwise, but has feed issues on the first round - it must have the first round in the magazine chambered THEN the rest of the magazine filled or it jams. Accuracy is so-so - but beats the Ruger.
    The Black is beat-up, the chrome pitted and scratched - but it shoots very well and functions flawlessly. It's '70s production vs. the '80s production Brown - maybe the machinery was worn by the '80s!?

6. lkd

lkd New Member

Whine all you want, I qualified "Expert" that way :p. Yeah, friggin miracle. To this day I'm sure it was either pure luck OR the people on either side of me were aiming at my target too :D (I'm a very good shot naturally, but, holy hannah, that firing setup was rigged worse than a carnival shooting alley)

7. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

never seen or shot a bad 22 the neighbor had 66 with no front site and it still shot great

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

theyre all .224 bullets. What was the bore measurement?

9. superc

superc Member

Ref the helpful comments..
    The gun was stored in a closet for 30+ years within a week of being purchased new in box. The crown is factory perfect. First thing I checked this decade after the horrid grouping after correcting the manufacturing defect in the bolt. This is a late 60s - early 70s vintage Mohawk Brown. I have tried a dozen brand of ammo and bullet weights since repairing the bolt. The gun doesn't care. It reliably feeds and fires (from any position) and randomly sprays them all. Once years ago I had a new Marlin 336 30-30 that shot equally horribly. Exam of the Marlin showed the front sight was loose in the dovetail and free to slide from side to side with every recoil. Fixing that eliminated the problem in the Marlin. That is not the case with my Nylon 66. The sights are fine. I have even tried mounting scopes twice. It sprays like a garden hose, scoped or not. My own thought was the torquing of the barrel to stock attaching screw is wrong, but someone else raised a good point. I never even considered barrel dimensions. I guess I should cerrosafe the barrel and mike the result. If I have an overbored 66, that would be a hoot.

Back in the day, Atchison was charging the USAF something like $1,000 for each drop in .22 LR converter for the AF AR-15s. Amusing to learn they were not as reliable or accurate as the old SOF article on them implied.

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

You might try the Paco Tool from Paco Kelly - it reforms and slightly expands the diameter of the .22LR bullet - some guys who have rifles that just'can't shoot a group' have had good results........

Also, have you checked the barrel attachment? Good and tight? Any removable barrel can have issues if it's loose in the receiver.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Willfully- the .22 LR is a .223- heel seated bullet, barely reaches the rifling- which, in an M16, is the wrong twist- .22 LR usually uses 1-16. the .22 WMR is .224.

12. paul

paul Member

inaccurate .22cal rifles/out the box

By far a Marlin Papoose, held 7rds, screw on barrel. Never could get that thing to shoot decent, sure was a handy rifle with it being little, light and floatable case.

13. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

My NAA .22 mag w/ 1 1/8" bbl wouldn't group for #%*& at anything over 10-15'.

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

A Ruger K1022 was my nightmare...problem after problem.

Finally, after two trips back to Ruger & much work by me, I traded it for a Yamaha XS400 motorcycle ;)

15. King Ghidora

King Ghidora New Member

The Nylon 66 my brother owned wasn't horrible when it came to accurate but it wasn't good either. And a Papoose can be really bad but I've seen them be good too. My brother also had one of those that shot great. What really shot bad was the AR7 made by Charter Arms. That thing wouldn't hit the ground if you pointed it straight down.

16. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

P22 but I am young and i'm sure i'll find something worse.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

my sig mosquito is my least accurate but even it isnt terrible. its lack of accuracy i think is due more to the crappy trigger than anything.

18. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I had a browning buckmark rifle not too long ago that wasn't worth a $hit past about 20 yards. I put a scope on it and thought I would sight it in at 50 yards for squirrel season. It was so bad that I went and bought a new scope thinking the original one was jacked up. It would have been better used as a crowbar than a gun. Useless to say the least.

19. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I have an Ithaca X-15 lighning that has trouble grouping tighter than 4 inches at 50 yards,even scoped.I bought it used in VG condition but just can't get them any tighter.
    I have a Marlin 795 that was all over the place untill I found the rear dovetail was loose,put a scope on it (was planning to anyway)and the factory grove is crap and the scope walks off the back.When the scope stays put it's dead on.

20. ricks

ricks New Member

home made zip .22 gun hahaha