Most funny/stupid thing you ever heard at the range/ gun shop?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Jun 25, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Back when I played paintball I was always on pbnation and we had a thread about the most stupid things we heard at the field and it always made me laugh s I figured why not start a similar thread here. So, what is the most stupid/funny thing you ever heard at the gun store/range?

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Had a guy (early 20's) come up to my gun counter lookin at guns and chatting. He looked at a Heritage Rough Rider and asked me "wow is that a Python? I haven't seen one of those in a long time." You could tell he didn't know very much about guns, but what he said next was both disturbing and funny.

"Yea I know a lot about guns, I play Call of Duty"

............and he was completely serious.......

3. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

Whoa. ^^

We were at the range this weekend, had a good time. Guy next to us was plinking a 22 rifle with his son and mentioned that he was looking for a 22 pistol. We offered our Beretta Neos (flawless weapon to date and fun as hell to shoot) for them to try. Guy next to them peeks his head out and says BUY AMERICAN. Uh well we always do (2 Chevys in our driveway) but thought he was random in saying that. The guy that said that had a Ruger 22, super nice, but for the money I'd pick the Beretta @ 270 vs. 400-ish for the Ruger.

4. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Wife and I were in a new gun store talking with the owner. Super friendly guy. We saw a Beretta magazine for the wife's PX4 Storm that they had for $55. Told him we shop a lot of gun stores and he will never sell that magazine for that price. Also told him we just bought some from another store for $29. He acted shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya! Asked one of his employees to "double check that price, maybe we priced it wrong." That was three months ago and it was still at $55 the last time we were there and they still hadn't sold that magazine. We don't shop there anymore.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I had a shop tell me that SKSs are rare, and then they offered to order me one for $700. :rolleyes:

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not really funny, as much as just sad. I was taking a look at a Springfield EMP in 9mm at my LGS awhile ago. I wanted to get a feel for it, but I wanted it in .40 S&W. I asked the guy behind the counter if they've had any .40s in recently. He told me Springfield doesn't make an EMP in .40. I politely nodded and handed him the gun back and walked away.

Yes, as a matter of fact they do make it in .40.

That was the first and only time I've seen that guy in there. And we go to that store a fair amount.

7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was once told by one of the guys at one of the ranges I frequent that steel cased ammunition can damage the extractor.

Apparently commie guns have special extractors on them that Murrican guns don't have.

Another range I went to had a guy with a 3K+ 1911 with a 7 yard target that looked like a shotgun target after about 10 rounds of buckshot. He proceeded to tell me how great the gun was, after I observed several stoppages, and how accurate it was.

Well, after watching me shoot a pistol that was less than 1/3 the price of his, he handed it to me and in my hands his fancy 1911 was indeed accurate. It printed several groups that were less than 1 inch at 15 yards. I'm not sure how "great" it was, but it did work most of the time.

Giving a custom 3K match grade 1911 to someone who has never shot a pistol before, or at least has never demonstrated anything approaching the accuracy capability of a factory Glock, is kinda like giving a F1 car to a student driver.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

On the range? Ft. Polk LA. M14 Field Fire range- popup targets from 75-300 meters. My Colonel had dropped by to check on training. We are walking the line- shooters firing prone position. Things are fine until we get to one shooter. He is rolled all the way onto his right side. Rifle turned 90 degrees from vertical- He is just banging away. Pulled him off the line, asked why shooting that way?

His sgt had explained that bullets do not travel in a straight line- it is CURVED. So he figured if he turned the rifle on its side, he could HOOK them bullets around the bushes there and hit the target.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  9. Donn

Donn Active Member

CPL class at the local LGS/range. A student, obviously new to the firearm community, rents a handgun for his qual fire. While preparing to fire, Mr. Newbie hangs his loaded pistol by the trigger guard on the wall hook meant for jackets and hats. Needless to say, Mr. Newbie was done for the day when the instructor saw it.

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Im walmart one day 2 guys 1 young 1 older guessing it was his father.
    Older one asked the younger whats up with the grain marked on these boxes of ammo?
    Young guy answers the one with the higher grain is more powerfull it has more gun powder, I should have corrected the guy but giggled and walked off fast.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Several years ago my brother and I were at a public shooting range. While the range was still hot a group of 5-6 Boy Scouts and a couple of adult "instructors" came up to the firing line in anticipation of shooting. When the firing line was clear my brother went down to change our targets, but I stayed by the guns (this was our usual practice at public ranges -- one of us went down, the other one stayed). With people still downrange changing/checking targets, I heard one of the adults tell the scouts to go ahead and load up. Not load mags; load their guns. I stepped over and asked if they at least wait until my brother wasn't downrange. And these guys were supposed to be teaching the Scouts gun safety.

12. Nun

Nun New Member

Was in a gun shop and someone called in asking if they sold "Asault Shotguns".

13. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I know I've heard dumb stuff at gun shows, but can't think of any, right now.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ive been on and run hundreds of ranges in the military and seen and heard about everything you can think of. I was once the story of the day on a range. Our Unit had recently been issued the new 9mm, fresh and brandy new out of the box 2 weeks prior to Annual Training. Officers and TOW Gunners were the primary users so they trained apart from us most of the morning while we conducted our m16 zero and record fire on another range. I finished the Zero Range, closed it, qual fired and wandered over to the pistol popup range to see how things were going. Within about 10 minutes, I found myself preparing to qual with a weapon I was totally unfamiliar with (never even held) cause they had a ton of left over ammo and we still had a couple hours left on the range!

Im a lefty with a pistol so they arent really built for me anyways but I was ready to give it a try. I fired my first mag (all hits!), dropped it, was reloading and my finger hit the upper slide release and slide it did; right off the rear of the weapon and onto the ground! I scooped it up ASAP, knocked the dirt off it, slid it back on and continued to fire. Lost a couple shots in the fumbling but still fired expert (I dont know how). I did get my balls busted for the next few days but learned never to purposely display my ignorance publicly hence forth if that could be avoided!

I was pretty happy with my M16 from then on!...

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was at Cabelas a couple days ago. I was looking at the used handguns. A guy in his early twenties was behind the counter. I pointed out a Kahr like mine to my wife. The guy tells us that he carries a 380. I simply said that I prefer a 9mm to the 380. But it was better than nothing. He goes on to say it doesn't matter what you carry. He tells me that a 22lr will stop a person in their tracks. Then he tells me that a 38 S&W has the most stopping power and has a heavier bullet than a 45acp and travels faster. And he was actually talking about the old 38 S&W. Not even a 38 special. He told me that England put 5 years into the development of the cartridge and that it was more powerful than anything we have today. I told him he is a dumba$$ and needs to learn about ballistics before he gets someone killed by his stupidity.

16. rurak

rurak New Member

I was in a gun shop near me looking at a 9mm s&w shield. The guy behind the counter was adamant that I need a s&w airweight 38 spl. I asked to see the shield and he pulled it out along with the revolver. I have nothing against wheelguns but they aren't my cup of tea for concealed carry. This guy was adamant about the revolver. I left wiyhout buying anything. I can't stand pushy gun salesmen.

17. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Sounds like maybe he was in line to get a bonus if he sold you that Airweight. :eek:

18. rurak

rurak New Member

That's what I was thinking. Its a beautiful revolver but not for me

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Here's one,

Years ago a friend and I went to a small public shooting range to check our deer rifles before deer season. When we pulled up we noticed 2 men and a woman sitting at one of the only two benches at this little range,little closer observation and these people have a mountain of empty beer cans and a cooler on the bench!!?? :confused:

We hop out of the truck in the parking lot and start listening to them,they're giggling drunk and shooting groups,I guess to see who buys the next case of beer??

So we're contemplating on leaving or out waiting these drunks?
    When all of a sudden one goes down to check targets and his buddy still at the bench is yelling to his drinkin' buddy going down range to hold still and he would shoot his hat off!!?? :eek: ....His buddy hollered back " I ain't warin' no hat!! :eek:
    You should've seen the look on my friends face after that comment,his eyes were twice as big as this symbol :eek: :D LOL

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Nature has a way of weeding out the idiots.