Most Devastating WMR round

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Dec 11, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

What is the most devastating .22WMR you have used on game. I know Hornady has a VMax round with a ballistic tip, but is it more devastating then a hollow-point?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Based not on scientific research, but casual observation- The polymer tip 22 Mag and 17 HMR on impact produced a reaction of HOLY BLEEP! from the shooter. Speed greater, sort of turns into a HP on impact.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I haven't had a chance to shoot the 22 mag I just picked up but I'll let you know in the near future.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

People shoot the 22mag?

Squirrel slayer or someone was running around here reloading rimfires I think.

I don't like the 22mag as it is not as accurate as my lr.. In a recent study of small game killed 89.7% of them preferred to be killed by a 22lr over any other round.

5. spittinfire

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't hate anything firearms except the stinking nasty worthless useless glock.

I just don't prefer the 22mag. I don't gain enough performance over a 22lr to warrant the extra cost of one.

I think I could reload a 22k hornet or a 219 zipper to the 22 mag velocities and have a better more accurate firearm....

7. spittinfire

For me, I see a 22 mag bridging the gap between my 22lr and 223. I only wish I could reload for it.

8. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I have never done any research as to which is the most devastating round through the .22WMR, but the accuracy of mine leaves little to be desired.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Devistation.. it is not always what makes a bigger mess for me, accuracy is #1. As far as dead, what does it matter if the woodchuck has been decapitated or not?
    Tango, Here in S. NH you can't use a centerfire for vermin, or anything else. So in the days before the .17HMR, the .22WMR was the only choice for 120 yard shots on vermin. The .22WMR is also the best for taking coyotes up to 100 yards w/ a 40gr HP. W/ a slight breeze the 30gr move too much as they are not quite as accurate in my rifle to begin with. The WMR has the same velosity at 100 yards w/ a 40gr as a .22lr has at the muzzle. Although in theory the 30gr will reach out further, about 25 yards they are not really worth the trade off. Here is a link that explains one issue w/ the ammo itself.
    New 2200 FPS .22 Mag Rimfire from Hornady « Daily Bulletin

10. nate

nate New Member

I know 22wmr vmaxs do a real nice job of stopping critters.

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have .22 mags that I don't use much because of cost and lack of accuracy due to fouling. As far as devistation, death is the ultimate devisation. The .22lr in the right hands will do just that, without the extra cost.

Jim........................

12. northhike

northhike New Member

That really isn't an answer to my question. :confused: I'll take the .22mag all day over the 22LR. Like them both but the .22mag outshoots it and out powers it.

13. monet61

monet61 New Member

WMR round

Glocks told me they love you anyway!

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've used the Hornady VMax round to make a mess out of crows and the like for a couple years. it works really well. I picked up some of the Remington Premier Magnum with the 33 gr Accutip-V in my not so long ago acquired 22 mag and they are just nasty on small critters. Worked much better than the Winchester hollow points I had laying around. Two big gardens within 120 yards and I can sit on my porch and view the carnage.

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

If you are going to get a .22Magnum rifle, get a Marlin...nothing else does the round justice, IMHO.

My Marlin 25MN takes coyotes regularly at up to 150 yards using 50-grain Federal Game-Shok's.

Fat Bullets thru Micro-groove rifling makes for mighty precise shots :D

Currently, the Marlin 982 heavy-barrel is the top of the Marlin line, but next year, for 2011,
    the X-22's are coming out, which basically means the X-7 Profire trigger is finally trickling down
    to the rimfires :D

Look for the X22 heavy barrel models to whoop up on everything else...
    Profire adjustable trigger...
    Marlin's Micro-groove technology heavy target barrels...
    and Factory Pillar Bedding...
    Heck of a combo for low bucks...the .22lr X22 Heavy Barrel versions are coming in at $225