Most common CCW caliber?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Nov 11, 2011.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

It's got to be a 9mm, no? I'm still baffled by you out there carrying high capacity and/or caliber pieces. I can't imagine toting around a bulky .45, no matter the holster. How uncomfortable that would be...

Anyway, just curious as to what everyone else thinks and/or has experienced.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'd be surprised if .38 special didn't come out somewhere near the top. A lot of people have snubbies.

All .45s aren't bulky or large. My DW CCO has pretty much pushed my XD40SC out of the carry list. A good holster can make a huge difference in what's comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would guess the 9mm is one of the most popular carry cartridges, if not the most popular cartridge. I carry the 9mm in the spring/summer and carry the .45ACP in the winter/fall. It's actually not uncomfortable at all, but then again I'm also 6'4.

4. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I don't really know the answer, but I do know that many people will not carry anything other than .45s, they just dress around the gun. Personally, I'm part of the "9 is fine" crowd, but that's a whole different argument.

For CCW, I generally have my G26 or Bodyguard .380 or both.

For the record, any of my 1911s are extremely comfortable for carry; slim and relatively light. I do carry one of them occasionally OWB in Galco leather, and simply wear a cover shirt or jacket.

Edited to add: I would guess that 9mm is the most common, though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My best guess would be that 9mm is the most common concealed carry. I would be hard pressed to guess what would be second...380?

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm sure if you separated it by sex the answers would be easier to manage, but I am asking "in general" and across the board.

I wonder if there's a poll taken anywhere that would give any indication. Also would guess it's dependent upon region.

7. SmokeyCDT

SmokeyCDT New Member

Most of the time I carry a 45 acp. But I would guess it would be 9mm

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Depends on the model. I carry a Kimber 1911 daily in .45acp 4 1/2 length with an officers grip. Single stack mag. Very slim and more comfortable then my PT111 9mm.

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

my carry is either a bersa thunder 380 or a colt new agent in 45acp. i would guess the most common is 38spl or 380acp.

i would be surprised if 9mm was near the top.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Really? Please do elaborate on why you think that, I'd be curious. Is it because the size of many of the larger 9s is so similar to that of .45 that, well, why wouldn't one choose the larger caliber?

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

The post by BenLuby looks pretty reasonable - lotsa .38 Special snubbies, lotsa 9mm, .380, and .45 ACP. Size likely depends more upon the climate and clothing worn where the person carries than caliber does, but no reason to expect any major difference in caliber.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I noticed, without having actually run the numbers, that 4 out of the 5 major calibers were pretty close. It looked like 380/9/45 were pretty close at the top, followed by 38, followed by 40. At least if you just look at gun models.

But then, that for sure was not a scientific poll.

It just goes to show that the most popular DOES NOT MATTER!! It only matters what fits you and you prefer.

What will make you want to carry more often? That's all that matters.

15. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

I'd guess that .380, .38 SNS, 9mm, .40, and .45 are the top 5.

I personally always carry my Glock 30; .45 Auto. It's small but holds 10+1 so that's a plus. I doubt I'd ever need anywhere near half it's magazine capacity, but I believe in peace through superior firepower ;)

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Too bad nobody makes a pocket pistol that fires a dozen or so 6" meat-seeking milliles. It'd be pretty popular. :D

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Too bad nobody makes a pocket pistol that fires a dozen or so 6" meat-seeking milliles. It'd be pretty popular.
    That's meat-seeking missiles, not milliles. :D

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have gone through a bunch of different carry guns. A lot depends on climate. Summer dictates my 380 Sig P238 as it gets very hot here and I need a pocket pistol. I seem to be leaning more heavily on my SP101 in 357 lately. It just hides better because of the grip shape and size. My next choice is my G36 which is a 45ACP single stack that weighs 28 oz loaded. The Ruger SR9c is a his and hers set up in the house so I dont carry it that often. With the 10 rnd mag it is about the same size and weight as the G36. I tried a PF9 but the grip was too small for comfort. Same with the P3AT. I have considered getting a light weight 38 snubby again but the SP101 carries so well and the P238 really negates the need.
    I will not carry a compensated pistol or revolver for personal defense. I shot my comped snubby in a darkened range and was blinded by the flash. Sold it rather quickly.
    Currently I would rank the 380 and 38 spl as the most commonly carried ccw rounds. Remember that this is a forum of shooters. Most ccw carriers are not and sales of hand guns for ccw have been through the roof with those 2 calibers leading the sales.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  19. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

IMO
    9mm= Most carried
    45- 2nd cuz a lot of people just want "the big one"
    .380/.38- women, BUGs, cost, Revolvers
    .40- LEOs, people who realize 40 kicks the same as 9mm +P

20. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I go big or stay at home :p .

In order of current to past:

Glock 17L, taurus 24/7 OSS (9mm), .44mag Raging Bull (8.375" bbl), Kel-Tec PF9 (hated shooting it so I sold it pretty quick), Taurus PT92. I carried the PT92 for about two years before mistakenly trading it for the Kel-Tec PF9 thinking I wanted something small. I hated the PF9 so much I sold it like a month later and carried the Raging Bull while I was shopping for another large-frame 9mm. I liked the Raging Bull so much that I carried it for about 6 months until picking up the OSS. The OSS didn't function well so I dumped it to a guy looking for a range / competition gun, and bought the G17L. I love carrying that thing!

A small weapon may be comfortable, but a big one that I can shoot well is comforting. But, by no means were / are any of those weapons uncomfortable to carry.

For the last year I've carried everything IWB on the strong side with the grip forward (palm-out draw with my strong hand), and usually concealed with a vest (in the summer) though occasionally for short trips I'd just go with a t-shirt (which is always a size small, btw :p ). Now that it's cooling off, concealment is cake :) .

Attached Files: