mossy or remington

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sagenodland, Oct 26, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I like the Mossberg action better than the Remington but the Remington 870 seems to point better what do you think is the best based on accessories and reliability?

2. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

I'm a remington fan

3. fmj

fmj New Member

I have always prefered the Rem. 870 over the Mossy 500

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

I strongly prefer the 870 myself. I have shot both a good bit but I own the 870 for several reasons. My biggest gripe is that I never felt comfortable with the forearm release button in the Mossy. Reaching above the receiver forces me to move my hand further away from the ready position and if I ever had to defend myself against a bad guy or a bear I want the quickest access to needed functions possible. To add to that I thought I would add a pistol grip or pistol grip stock and the location of the forearm release is just in a terrible spot on the 500...

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I love the Rem 870, easy action feels good in the hands, fun to shoot tons of options that can do with after market parts, also the the rem 870 express w./ changeable chokes is pretty damn sweet, I've used it to turkey, geese, and even a couple of deer, love the gun.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've got both. Neither seem any better than the other. Aftermarket seems a little more available for the Remington though.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I like the Mossy 590A1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. Mrpbrute

Mrpbrute New Member

I have owned both, I actually sold my mossberg, to get an 870. I wish I didn't. My mossberg felt more natural to me and I feel like I was more proficient at reloading it, and more proficient at running tac courses. Its all about preference really. I'm gonna sell my 870 when the ksg is finally in production, and I'm gonna love that thing to death

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a mossberg now, but i truly like the remington 870 a little better. both are good shotguns, but the remington will have a better resale value than the mossberg. both seem to be about equal in aftermarket parts for them.

10. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

A buddy of mine just picked this one up. Its nice, I just don't care for the giant sights.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Both the Mossberg and Remington are can be highly accessorized. I'm more of a Remington fan, because I grew up shooting my father's Remington Sportsman 58, which is now mine. It has a lot of sentimental value and I love the patina on it. Mossberg makes a fantastic shotgun and if I wanted a more home defense shotgun I would go with the Mossberg 590A1, but for just shooting/hunting I would go with the Remington 870 Express Magnum.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been very happy with my old Mossy 500. The add-on accessories i have wanted have not been hard to find, except for a mag tube extension. My nephew has the 870 express; it is also a nice shotgun.

13. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Could you clay shoot with ghost ring sights on? Just a curiosity of mine

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Im partial to the ones from Connecticut, but i own and have sent thousands of rounds thru both the mossy and the remmy, I think like others have said, just comes down to personal preference, wouldnt mind going into battle with either one of them. I will advise you to steer clear of the Wichester 1300, i have owned 2 of them, both of them had the same problems, sight rail loose, slides back and forth, and had to re-tighten the forearm doohickey every 3 shots, or the barrel would fall off.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I like the 870, got two, well actually got an express magnum and a nef pump which is an 870 clone. Dont like the feel of the mossy, plus dont like the wobbly forend. The remmy just seems to be a much better quality shotty for a little extra greenbacks.

My fil has an 870 also, im not sure of the year but its one of the first years remington made them and it still shoots like new. He uses it every year to squirrel and deer hunt and has used it in a couple shooting matches with the original barrel. Now thats quality

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  16. Mrpbrute

Mrpbrute New Member

Remingtons quality has gone down, way way down, however mossberg has kept quality and has more guns to fit more peoples' styles. Remington doesn't have anything mossberg doesn't, and mossberg has more accessories. Mossberg>remington

17. Slugo

Slugo New Member

Mossberg and quality are an oxymoron. The same with Remington. You only get what you pay for...

18. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

That's what you get with anything
    The question is what is the best value

19. Mrpbrute

Mrpbrute New Member

Lol... Okay

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes that's pretty much true. but there can be some great deals made on good decent guns from time to time. and remington and mossberg both make quality guns. any manufacturer who makes thousands and thousands of an item is going to have some that don't make the grade, just a fact of life. these companies know that, so with belief in their product, they have warranties in place to take care of the customer. this applies to guns, cars, computers and anything mass produced. mass production is the only way the average person would ever be able to afford anything. do you think everyone could afford a Ferrari or Rolls Royce, or some of the handmade firearms made in England, Italy or Germany? no, these are usually the products only the rich and super rich can afford. average person usually buys Ford, Chevy, Remington and Marlin.