Mossy maverick 88 help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by savageman97, Mar 17, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

The fore arm on my dads new 88 has a lot of side to side play in it and my dad thinks its missing a piece? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It is most likely just the ol' Mossberg rattle.

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Mossbergs rattle its a fact of life. Wont effect the reliability or anything

4. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

It's seems that there is some metal on metal contact and there are some threads on the inside of the forend that implies that there is something missing

5. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Can u take some pictures of the areas your speaking of. Wat im seeing so far looks normal

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

The area right inside of the front of the forend. If u look in between the mag tube and the inside of the forend u can see what looks like threads

Attached Files:

7. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

From wat im seeing its just mossberg rattle

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife's 500 and my old 88 are the same way. There is nothing wrong with your dad's Maverick. I had mine from 1991 to 2009, and then it went to a friend's son who needed an shotgun for deer season. So far, the only thing my friend's son has complained about with that pls shotgun is that he only has it for about 2 hours each time he hunts. It seems that his dad is like mine was, take the son's lightweight pump to still hunt, leave the heavy azz autoloader with the kid while he sits.:rolleyes: Somethings never change.:D

Seriously. It is nothing more than a case of Mossberg rattle. the only Mossbergs I have that don't rattle are my old 20 gauge bolt actions. Even my old 200 k has a rattle to it.

9. longunner

longunner New Member

My maverick does the same thing. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

10. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Is the maverick completely stock? The last picture you had shown looks to have an action slide tube nut. To the best of my knowledge all mavericks have a non removable forend. If your father has changed it out for a mossberg action slide tube then you will most definitely see some finish marring off.

11. longunner

longunner New Member

No way man I have had my forend off many a tome

12. juststartin5272

I know I'm right on this one, yes it can be removed from the gun, but it has no internal tube under the forend. A forend change out isn't possible. The action arms are riveted to the forend unlike most that have a separate forend and action slide assembly.

13. longunner

longunner New Member

I don't think I understand what your trying to say...:eek:

14. juststartin5272

The forend and action slide tube are not two separate pieces like on many shotguns. The action bars are riveted to the forend instead of a tube