Mossy 702 plinkster for first .22?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by GlockRenegade, Jul 9, 2013.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Hi all- so I borrowed my buddies .22 and took my 10 year old daughter shooting. It was a mossberg 702 plinkster. I had no complaints and the gun worked great, dead on target. Now she wants one. I've seen some online for around $130. Thoughts or suggestions on this or any other .22's in that price range. Thanks

2. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

We have the Mossburg AR 22 (way fun for kids and adults!) right around 250-300 and 25 rounds of good times! The ONLY problem we have had with ours (we bought used) is once in a while when rapid firing the mag will drop out. Haven't figured out a fix, and we are scared to send it back for a repair because it could take however long to get it back. 98% of the time works awesome!

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have the bolt action. 802? Idk the number off hsnd. Great little rifle. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 tends to be a bit more precise in the same price range...
    not to mention way more accessories available...& 25-rd mags by two different MFR's...Champion & Pro-Mag

5. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

So is it a semi/AR 15 style?

6. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

And nah I don't want bolt action. Semi-auto only hehehe

7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Nope...although the option for pimping inexpensively is very open...just ask Defcon...lol

Starts out like this...
    [​IMG]

Can end up like this...
    [​IMG]

Or this...
    [​IMG]

Or this...
    [​IMG]

Or this...
    [​IMG]

Only limited by your imagination when it comes to the 795 ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  8. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

A decent rifle, enjoy:)Cliff

9. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I got a marlin 795. My 9 year old daughter loves shooting it. I just bought her a cricket for herself for her birthday.

image-1694976922.jpg

image-1682874342.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have a 702 plinkster first gun my GF ever shot she loves it, what she doesn't know is our 1 year in next months and she's gettin it. But I like the little gun it's good shootin I haven't had any problems out of mine it shoots good with a scope on it. Honestly it makes a pretty nice first gun.

11. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I bought a plinkster back when they first came out at Wal-Mart for less than $100 OTD. Its a very accurate and reliable gun but when I took it apart I wasn't impressed. Cheap metal and parts and kind of a pain in the ass to reassemble. Its worth what I paid for it and its always been accurate and reliable. I just don't think it could hold up to hard shooting or use. The Marlin 795 is a better built gun and its almost identical to the plinkster. My opinion the 795 is better quality for not much more money. YMMV

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Have a 702 That I got @ Wally's, was under $150 but no scope, did come with 1-10 Rd mag. Stock is black synthetic but traditional style shape. I'm adding a sling and a top rear adapter rail for some sort of optic, and ordered 2 25 rd. magazines that should come tomorrow. was the alternative to waiting to buy another 10/22 which at the time I couldn't fine anyway.

13. OandB

OandB New Member

Where did you find the 25-round magazines?

14. DrFootball

CDNN sports(cdnnsports.com)
    They are very sturdy, made of Zytel,...3 window holes for 25,20, and 16 rounds. Red follower, Load assist button in the center of mag, release at the top rear of the mag,...comes with loader. $29.99 each,..order $100 or more and get $5 off shipping and a free US Army Knife(but it's not american made:-(
    I have done biz with them before for mags for just about all my guns that are mag. fed. This order we also got 3 Ruger SR9 mags(factory) and 2 for my wife's Buckmark, plus 2 for her PPK/s Stainless .22

15. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I am going to check for those 25 rd mags as well, be great

16. DrFootball

This is the Mossberg Mag...

Attached Files:

17. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

I have a 702 that I bought from a coworker. It's a great shooting gun and I've never had a single issue with it. Since then I got my Ruger 10/22 and now the 702 just sits a home. If you have the few extra dollars I would really recommend getting a 10/22 over the 702. You will be able to find magazines so much easier for the 10/22.