Mossy 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by fupuk, Apr 22, 2012.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Got a shotgun today. Plus it came with a fixed buttstock and got it for $300. Now to figure out what shells to get? This is my first 12 ga. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nice purchase. I assume you intend to use it for home defense. Buck shot should work fine.

3. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yes this will be my home defense weapon. I have handguns and an Ak47 but a pump 12ga is what i wanted. Its a wedding present to myself. Got married Friday and went to the gun show to look for our gifts. She found a new holster for her Glock and i found a shotgun.

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm wondering why you didn't want a shoulder-fired shottie. The Mossberg safety is not really accessible from a pistol grip. Oh well, to each his own.

#4 Buck, #1 Buck, 0 Buck, 00 Buck are all fine for home defense. I, for one, load #1 Buck in the magazine and have 00 Buck in my side saddle.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Congratulations on the marriage! Interesting gifts...

Short is OK but it's nice to have a stock. You'll see, especially w/big, heavy, charges. I agree on the shot sizes recommended -- 00 Buck would be about the last I'd choose first.

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Pistol grip in my opinion is one of the worst things you can do to a shotgun. Think about all that force going strait to your wrist. Also harder to aim and acquire a fallow up shot than a fixed stock. Also food for thought as a home defense wepon your wife may need to shoot this. I know for sure after I took 1 shot with one I will never fire a second shot out of my friends 12 ga. I get a short gun is good for going around corners, but if I can't acquire a target in time thats an issue.

7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I have a stock that came with it, its a synthetic factory stock but its just not pictured. I will defenitly be putting the stock on it. But im gonna have to try a few shells with just the pistol grip, to see how it works.

8. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I have #4 in the tube and 00 on the side saddle.

9. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Same here,except I have just three OO,then two slugs behind them... Just incase

---Shoot To Thrill---

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've heard of people putting different rounds in the magazine. For me, that just doesn't work. I'm not going to keep track of round count in a critical situation and wouldn't want to be surprised by a different recoil. "Keep it simple, stupid" is what I think.

11. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

if you have to stop and think about what you are going to shoot then there is an issue. knowing what is going to come out after you pull the trigger is being responsible shooter. regardless if its at the range or in a defense situation.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I actually do this in my carry guns. I have 3 jhp rounds followed by the rest being fmj. Just in case for some reason the first rounds don't get the job done.
    Of course this is no comparison to a shotgun.

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That, too, I just don't understand. After three rounds is your concern for over-penetration no longer a problem? Do you no longer need an expanding bullet?

Are you cheap?

I fill every mag to the brim with top-shelf self-defense ammo so I just don't have to think about what the next round is going to be. I probably would only need 2 or 3 rounds, yes. But what if I miss 3 times and still need a man-stopper? Nope, not for me.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I assume the first 3 will do the job but there have been instances where jhp have not been effective at that point I want to know I'm going to penetrate. It also depends on the caliber I'm carrying. My .25 is all fmj and my .45 is all jhp. My 9 is mixed.

15. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I don't know about using different types of rounds in the same magazine. I guess you just need to find whatever rounds work best for your purpose.
    I owned a mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel and a synthetic stock. I loved it as a home defender but sometimes wished it was only a pistol grip as I live in small apartment and don't need that much range.
    My brother in law had a mossberg 500 with a wood pistol grip and pump. Beautiful gun but jammed several times on us over 500 shells.
    That's about all I know

16. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

When I say three OO and two slugs I mean in the stock mounted shell holder. The mag tube is loaded with all #4 buck. The #4 should take care of any bumps in the night,I have the OO and slugs in the shell holder in case i find myself needing more firepower in a hurry or dude has buddies,possibly in a vehicle? Idk but I feel better with more options one the side of the gun

---Shoot To Thrill---

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Police officers will sometimes load different loads in a mag tube, my wifes cousin is an indiana trooper and he usually keeps his 870 loaded with 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, slug and so on. It doesnt hurt anything as long as your gun is designed to use both.

But in my shotgun i got 00 buck in the gun and slugs in the shell holder on my top folding stock.

I also always count my rounds as im firing, even a 30-round mag. I reload when ive still got one in the chamber. My dad taught me that, it keeps you from getting caught with your pants down while reloading because you still have one in the pipe to defend yourself.

Of course the nice feature of a pump shotgun is you can top off the mag tube anytime.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The issues with slugs, you can find it in the house next door our across the street. Last thing you need is to kill your neighbor along with the bad guy.

19. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I wasn't saying that I disagree with loading different types of ammo. I've just never done it personally. And if there is a chance, even a small one, that your first type of ammo might not get the job done, then why use it at all?

20. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

What happens if..........tactically you decide that you need slugs first?