Mossy 500 or Remington 870 shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 95sniper, Dec 26, 2012.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I know there are a million threads about these two guns, but which one is more customizable? I know you can get the mossberg with several different barrels, is it worth it or would you just buy seperate guns? Which is best for home defense? Thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just from what i have seen available for both as far as parts and accessories, they look to be about equal. personally i like having different shoguns for different purposes, but that is the advantage of the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 is the ability to change barrels to suit your needs without havingto have multiple shotguns.

3. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thats what I'm thinking, I would like to have a shotgun for home defense just a durable low maintenance gun like a mossberg 500 then maybe a nice blue/wood gun for skeet and trap...

4. Axxe55

the various configurations of the Mossberg, that's very easily possible. just need to go to their website and look them over and see what suits you. then just modify it to you personal liking.

5. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thanks for your help

6. Axxe55

you're welcome.

7. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

Being an LEO I am going this week to buy a Maverick 88 security model. Only the shorter one. That is because I have a better selection of bbl's to change out. Plus I can even get a muzzel loader bbl for it.

8. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'm still not really set on a particular model yet, I've never shot a shotgun before and am trying to do some research.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would vote 870 over 500, BUT I would vote 590 over 870 any day. The 590 is more versitile than the 500.

10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I saw a video that hickok45 did on youtube about this gun, I'm leaning towards it.

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'd get a blued/wood mossberg 500 with a 28inch barrel for trap/skeet/small game etc. and an 18inch barrel for HD. You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Which is better? Ford or Chevy?

That said, I just bought a Mossberg 930 last week.

13. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I like both Remmington and Mosburg the 500 Mosburg and the 870 Remington are my favorite shotguns

The main decision though for me was the ease of field stripping and the position of the safety

I found with the Mosburg series that the safety is on top of the receiver where your Cheek-wood be And well out hunting with my uncle we both make the mistake of messing with the safety constantly so when we go to fire the safeties on and We r missing The shots

Although the position of the safety on the Remington . I like better . it still is in a weird spot
    It's behind the trigger on the trigger guard instead of in front of the trigger on the trigger guard

I personally chose the Remington Because I don't mess with the safety as much reducing the risk of a accidental discharge