mossy 500 foregrip

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jocww, Nov 25, 2008.

1. jocww

jocww New Member

Is there a way to tighten up the foregrip on the mossberg 500 mine seems kind of loose and rattles a bit. I just bought it and am new to the world of shotguns. Sales lady said it was an easy fix she worked at big5 so I took her word with a grain of salt. Overall it seems like a nice gun.

TIA
    Jon

2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

grab a long medium tipped flat head screw driver and try tightening it by gently tapping in till its tighter, that should do the trick

3. jocww

jocww New Member

can you go into more detail please.

4. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

sure in the front where u unscrew the barrel youll find the bolt just right infront of the foregrip with two notches. just take a flat head put it in one of those notches and tap away until it tightens up, now i cant remember if its righty tighty or lefty tighty but it shouldnt take you long to figure out. hope this helps

5. jocww

jocww New Member

sarg i dont see any screws on the pumpslide/forgrip it seems like the 2 rails are loose or looser than my dads 870.

6. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

is it the rails that r loose or the grip

7. bkt

bkt New Member

If it's the rails that seem a little loose, that may be normal for a Mossy. Every one I've seen has had a little wobble in the foregrip and made a little noise. It's not rigid like an 870. But the design is solid and reliable -- it is not a flaw or sign of a problem.

8. jocww

jocww New Member

The rails are loose. Is there a way to tighten them up?

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It's the basic design of mossberg pump shotguns of forearm rattle. Just get used to it. That's why I don't like them/don't own any-is it gets on my nerves too much and makes them feel cheap. BUT it's that same loose forearm that makes them among the very top of reliability in pump shotguns. The mossberg to me is the AK47 version of pump shotguns. Even tho I personally don't like them, they are reliable.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I agree 100% with Stalkingbear. That is the way Mossy's are. You can probably backyard engineer something if you really wanted too, but it was designed that way and is kind of like the AK as SB pointed out. It's not the tightest tolerance weapon out there, but that also leads to some damn good reliability.

I don't own any Mossy's either - but I have shot them and they go bang when they need too.

JD

11. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Ive got a Mossy 500 and while the wobble doesn't bother me, the fact that you can't remove the forend kind of irks me. I wanted to get a forend pistol grip for it but I can't because the stock one can't be removed.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You CAN easily change the forend-all you need (to do it properly) is an forend wrench and remove the nut at end-it looks like a ring.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I know on most you can, but on the model I've got the forend is permanently attached to the rods as well. I thought it was strange but when I was looking on ATIs website, it said the foregrip wouldn't work on certain models because the forend was attached to the rods, mine is one of those.

14. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

im sure it can come off in some way or the other just for gunsmithing reasons. justmy .02 though

15. jocww

jocww New Member

ATI says that all new model 500s the stock cant be replaced:(

16. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

just sent mossberg a e-mail so ill let you guys know when they respond:)

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The one and only 12 ga. I have is a Mossberg 500. Chambered for the 3" shells and the bitty old 2-3/4". No, Mossbergs aren't as tight as the 870. Still, my Mossy is very reliable and accurate even with bead sights. I love it, and fall deeper in love with it every season. That gun has put alot of meat on the table. For the price of even new ones, you can't beat that shotgun!! :D