Mossberg tactical 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Boyerracing343, May 23, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Im sure this has already been talked about on here but what do you guys think of it?

Maybe some of the guys that have them can post some pics and share how they are?

2. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

Heres a pic of mine obviously doesnt look much like it did out of the box. Most the guys on this forum like the M&P 22 but but I cant find anything wrong with this gun and its half the price. I have used many types of ammo from 720 FPS sub sonics up to mini mags no problems only thing is 720s you have to cycle by hand but I shot many critters out my back window all you here is the click of the firing pin. We picked up another one recently for my grandson he loves it this thing is tight out 50 or 60 yards I havent realy pushed it past that yet I dont have the room. Good Luck

Attached Files:

3. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

shortfuse, how much did it set you back with and without the add-ons?

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

Gun was 275 with tax shipping and NICS check Scope is Bushnell 3-9x40 about 70 Bucks already had it Red DOt 1x30 around 50 Bucks Bolt Extention 18 Bucks Flash Light and Mount I had laying around Bipod about 60 Bucks I share that with a 22-250 a fake silencer I got for 15 Bucks an ATI Cheek Rest 15 Bucks. The quad rail sides are removable so I cut them down and remounted the smaller peices I just like the grip better the way it is now. I also shaved the front sight pin it was way to thick it hid the target if you used the sights.

5. psu08

psu08 New Member

Where do you get the fake silencer?

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

I read it has the same bolt action as the Mossberg Plinkster 702, which has mixed reviews with fail to feed and fail to eject issues. Some owners report never having a problem others are having repeated problems.

As more of the tactical models are purchased and used, I'm sure we'll read more of their reliability.

7. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

psu08
    I got the fake silencer at tacticalinc.com click on silencers scroll down to Walther G22 fake .22lr suppressor $16.44 with the shipping received it in a few days it did not fit on the barrel so I used a step bit to ream it out it attaches with 3 set screws. Theres a lot of cool stuff on that web site.

8. pyroman9

pyroman9 New Member

If your looking for a .22 tactical go with the smith and wesson mp15-22 hands down.

Here are my problems with the Mossberg tactical:
    It is very blocky design

from a distance it looks like a AR but up close... it is very obviously a walmart build to it.

The material that they made it from is cheap and not very well made.

it does not function the same as the ar and things like the magazine are just cheaped out areas.

The SWMp15-22 functions the exact same as a AR and is built to look and function the same. It also is built out of a high quality material. It does cost more.. but if you want a fun tactical gun.. pay a little more for the gun, because your going to save a lot more on the ammo. And it will be a load more fun.

I have had many customers come back and tell me how much they do not like the mossberg...its kinda like the SW Sigma... It shoots... thats about it. And sometimes it does not even do that. They are guns made for the budgeted person who does not really care.

Hope this helps.

9. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I am looking at picking one up. My first worry was that 10 round mag was a bit small.

The jamming issue does worry me a bit now. But for that price I can deal with some jams if it is just takes a few hundred rounds to work out

10. pyroman9

pyroman9 New Member

warhawk... i would seriously look at the SW mp15-22... you will truly appreciate it much more.. if not get a ruger 10/22 and sport it out.... IMO.

11. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I have looked at the S&W that is the one that got me hooked on the idea. Just at $600 vs $300 it is a big diff.

Not saying I won't change my mind it is just that as a starting place $300 is easier to start with

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If you're looking at a S&W for $600 it is either a high end version or someone is trying to take you for a ride. I bought mine for just a few bucks over $400 at a gun show. Others here have reported buying them for under the $400 mark. It is a great gun and we shoot it everytime my son and I go shooting.

13. pyroman9

pyroman9 New Member

I was just going to add that... I can get it at gun shows in NY for $450... I sell it for $500 at Gander.... I would keep your eyes peeled. Its just something i would really push you towards, since you will save so much in ammo... invest a little more in a gun...

1 out of 10 for ratings for the guns (based off of customers reviews in the store)

Mossberg - 3
    SW Mp15-22 - 9

There is a reason the SW got rated one of the best rifles of the year last year... something to consider.. Its like buying a Pardner pump shotgun... instead of dropping another $100 and getting a remington 870... you get what you pay for...

14. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

The S&W for around $400 does sound much better. Gander mountain web site lists it at $599 which was where I first found the gun

15. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

GMs normal price by me is $499 on the plain model. $599 gets you the optics package. GM is overpriced on either of these models. They can be had for much less.

16. pyroman9

pyroman9 New Member

That makes sense now, because i was just in at work and the mp15-22 was going for $499... ha. That is the common price i would say. You can find it at small shops and gun shows for $450. Just have to keep your eyes open, good deals will come.

17. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

yeah wait for a good price and miss out on a ton of shooting you pull the trigger the bullitt goes down range it hits what you aim at what more do you need

18. pyroman9

pyroman9 New Member

ha shortfuse you have a point. Some people do not really care about the realism / quality of the design. The end result is that either gun will shoot, and either is accurate... however there are a lot of quality and appearance issues i have with the mossberg. just like their 500 shotgun... its flimsy as hell.. it still shoots fine.. but the quality of the design is just not there. hence i will always pay more for the 870

19. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

I agree 100% the M&P is much prettier and stays true to the original AR15 and I dont claim the Mossberg is better after all this gun started out as a 702 Plinkster and its stuffed into a two peice polimer shell I happen to owm two nice AR 15s a Bushmaster & a Stag and if you look at the pictures of my mossberg it dosent look any thing like the gun that I bought and Im not finished messing with it yet