mossberg shotty

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by NICMG, Dec 20, 2009.

1. NICMG

NICMG New Member

being a new hunter i was looking at shotguns and i have heard good things about the mossbergs. is there any advice you guys could give that would be usefull about what kind of shotty i should get. anything helps

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

mossberg 500 12 ga. is a very good gun for beginners they are very affordable and can be easily custumized for different hunting set ups.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The 500 is a great gun. My first shotgun was a Winchester 1300 Turkey in 15 years it's never failed in any way, shape or form. Sucks that Winchester doesn't make them anymore but they can be found cheap on the used market.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A bit more info would be helpful. For instance are you looking for a slug gun for larger game, a turkey gun, etc. Mossberg makes some game specific shotguns as well as several general purpose or multi-purpose ones, the 500 series, as mentioned, is a very reliable, often recommended model. I have one myself, home defense 18", 12 ga.

5. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

JP is right, could provide a little more input knowing what you want to use her for; e.g. Mossberg 835 for turkey, Rem 11-87 Supermag for waterfowl, Browning for upland. Would it serve double duty for you? Standin' by...

6. NICMG

NICMG New Member

SORRY GUYS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC. i plan on using the gun for waterfowl/turkey. however i would like for it to serve for home defense as well. a buddy said that the ATS Mossberg was pretty good.

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Mossberg makes some great shotguns.
    If you want the shotgun to be dual purpose make sure you have two barrels.
    HD= 18.5" barrel & Hunting= 28" barrel or longer.

8. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

+1

UnderFire hit the bulls eye, you can't go wrong with that barrel combination.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If I were in the market, I would buy a used Mossy 500A with the 28" interchangeable choke tube cyldindrical barrel and buy an 18.5" cyl barrel for HD. Just my opinion.