Mossberg Shotguns

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 6shootersandw, Sep 17, 2011.

1. 6shootersandw

6shootersandw New Member

Anybody familiar with there shotguns?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

not the fanciest, and not as many parts and accessories for it as the Rem 870, but they are fine, reliable, simple, and easy to take down and clean. I really miss mine. It was a 500 12 gauge. I saw an o/u mossberg at Wal-Mart, and I really thought it was pretty sweet looking, would love to see how it shoots.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thinking of getting a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge.
    For a long time it was a toss up between that and
    a Remington 870. I think Mossberg is in the lead.

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

mossberg is aluminum
    remington is steel

mossberg ambi top safety
    remington r handed trigger tang safety

mossberg cheaper

aftermarket parts
    remington has more variety, slight advantage
    mossberg has plents of options

mossberg offers a blackpowder barrel for hunting conversion (haven't heard of anyone actually using it)

my preference... mossberg

personal choice got some bad remington ammo once, and am pissed at them

and mossberg shotguns are approved and used by US military, that is a pretty strong endorsement

BOTH ARE GOOD GUNS, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED BY EITHER ONE

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a 590A1 and a 835. i like em waaaay better than the remingyon 870. i prefer the tang mounted safety for a shotgun. the controls for me are more ergonomic than the 870. if you damage one beyound repair they are cheap enough to get a new one and not worry about it.

both my mossbergs after about the first 300 rounds run like a greased up naked deaf guy being chased in a pharmacy...

6. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I love my Mossberg 88. Have put 150 shells thru it so far. Flawless! Great HD weapon.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

What?... just what the hell?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

sorry bad family guy reference

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a 500 for years and it was a great shotgun. I sold it and now have this Mossberg 9200 Zombie Slayer. Ten rounds of Zombie slaying goodness in a semiauto. ;)

[​IMG]

10. drugan

drugan New Member

I am in the san Fernando valley and have been shopping for a 535 pump action field deer combo.do I need to find a gun store to order it? Can I order directly from mossberg?should I just wait for the next gun show? Thx again

11. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

Have a 500 that I got at Cabelas. Works great, slaps me in the face every time I shoot it.

12. NOVA

NOVA New Member

[​IMG]
    I like my Mossberg 500 12 gauge with the Spec Ops stock - no face slapping!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I have a 500 and it used to tear up my shoulder. Now i have the knoxx stoxk and now my cheeck gets tore up! You cant win

14. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMrWFhu2GU]Touching all the candy greased up deaf guy family guy - YouTube[/ame]

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Drugan- no, you cannot buy a gun directly from the manufacturer. Federal law requires that firearms be transferred thru a Dealer that has a Federal Firearms License. Been that way since 1968.

Where you been?

16. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Mossbergs are junk....

Just kidding. I have 4 of them. :D I shoot the crap out of my shotguns. They all work fantastic.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was getting ready to start screaming "Blasphemy!!!"
    Really they may not be the best out there, but I loved mine, it did what it was supposed to do, and IMHO it may just be the best for the money.

18. vincent

vincent New Member

I got it Jon, and yes, have one, 835, 10 years old, looks and shoots like new, easy clean, reliable, reputable maufaturer. Trip said it right...

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

:p I had to say it since there has been a lot of talk about them lately.

I do agree, they are affordable, reliable, easy to work on, and i do like how quick i can switch barrels out. I do recommend them to others.

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As far as pump guns I prefer the Remington 870 Standard models. But I have had a few Mossberg Shotguns in the 500 Series and there is not a thing wrong with them. I do own a Mossberg Semi-Auto 930 Turkey Shotgun in the complete camo version with an EOTech 512 Sight on it which is great for Turkey hunting. And it is a fine shotgun.