Mossberg Rattle

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kmglocks, Feb 2, 2013.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

I know this may be an inherent problem with the mossberg 500 with the rattle on the foregrip of this shotgun. But, is there a way to get rid of it? I know you can tighten the nut of an 870 with a wrench and that takes the rattle away but with a mossberg it looks to be more in foregrip bars. Any ideas?

2. WolfPak

WolfPak New Member

I don't believe you can tighten it up because it is designed to be loose. It was designed with the AK47 theory of loose tolerances in mind.

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

Reason why I'm not a big fan of the 500s

5. WolfPak

WolfPak New Member

If you are using the push-pull recoil management technique, then the forearm should be stable and not an issue.

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

It's hard to hold onto the forearm the whole time you are hunting and you shouldn't have to either

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The action bars of a Mossberg are riveted in place, while Remington bars are welded. This is the mechanical reason that they rattle.

I haven't looked closely enough, but it may be possible to place a second rivet or some form of gasket to reduce noise/motion.

8. WolfPak

WolfPak New Member

I found this over on the Shotgun Forum. You might try calling Mossberg.

"Newer Mossberg model 500's and 835's do have a spring that keeps the slide bar's from rotating loosely, and thus greatly reduces the rattling tendency of the whole slide assembly.

It doesn't look like you could easily retrofit this spring into an older slide assembly -- you'd have to take off the slide bars (which seem to be more-or-less permanently pinned in place -- ?) and cut a little notch in each to hold the ends of the spring.

However, you can buy one of these newer slide tube assemblies (with spring already installed) directly from the Mossberg parts department. They come in both short and long versions, to fit the old (long) and newer (short) wooden forends.

I bought one awhile back and swapped out my old with the new -- think it cost ~$30 - $40 or so. Now it doesn't rattle at all when carrying and shifting the gun around. Yay!"

9. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Mine rattles and twists a little bit too. Bugs me. And I just bought it and fired it for the first time today.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

BS. Nothing else but BS. I have a very early 500, no rattle. If you are walking, you may get some wiggle. I hunt, so my hand is always on the foregrip. I've had mine for close to 20 years, bought it used. Never had an issue.

11. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

brand new, straight from the factory rattles

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

I call bs they don't make one that don't rattle

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The only way to get rid of the rattle is to get rid of the gun. Junk rattles.
    ct

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

So you're saying that a mossberg is junk?

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 500 rattles. At least the ones made in the last 10-15 years do. The action bars are not tightly afixed to the slide tube. The quietest forends you will find are on the Winchster 1200/1300 series

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

I agree about the Winchesters.....best pump guns ever made in my opinion

17. cottontop

cottontop Guest

junk

Yes. IMHO
    ct

18. WolfPak

WolfPak New Member

You may say BS, but your incorrect. Remington's have less slack in their forends and thus less rattle. Mossbergs are looser due to slightly less tight tolerances. It does not bother me.

19. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have three 500's, a pre 1970 with one action bar and two post 1970 with two action bars and not aware of any rattles. Not that it matters but now I'll have to check them out. Just did and no rattles. I also checked out my 1966 Ithaca model 37 police, no rattles other then the sling swivels.

20. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

This is why I will never own a Mossberg. When I grab the fore grip and it moves a 1/2 in to either side, doesn't exactly make me feel comfortable with the quality of that firearm. (Designed that way or not) so I went with a nova instead.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013