Mossberg MVP Varmint

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Bigcountry02, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

The local military exchange has a Mossberg MVP Varmint 5.56 for $555 and off-base LGS has the same rifle allocated for $562.

The rifle will accept mags except the Thermold brand mags!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mossberg make a good rifle. i have looked at that rifle a few times and it's not a bad looking rifle. myself, i have given the thought to it, beings as i do have a few AR mags!

3. Bigcountry02

I will give a range report in the coming days. I will have my Sightmark Tactical scope.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looking forward to hearing how well it performs. thanks!:D

5. Bigcountry02

Finally got some range time this morning. Hardly any wind, biggest issue was the addition of risers to the scope, after 15 rounds and at 25 yards the scope was max up. I removed the scope, risers and re-installed the scope to the stock mounts. After 10 shots at 25 yards, getting on paper, moved to 50 and finally 100 yards.

Issue I have on mags loaded with more than 10 rounds the mag either the stock, old steel, and/or PMAG tends to drop down. Easy fix is touching bottom of magazine up allows the bolt to grab rounds.

The other issue is the bolt cartridge pusher, the portion indicated in green is the concern for longevity:

[​IMG]

Rifle after cleaning:

[​IMG]

The 100 yards to target, target is right of the three together:

[​IMG]

The target at the 100 yard marker:

[​IMG]

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the 20" sporter style. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 BDC on it. It has been so hot here I have not been able to take it to the outdoor range. 90 at 5:00 AM and 123 in the afternoon. One ragged hole at 25 yards from a very poor rest at the indoor range. I was using the 10 round mag that came with it and have not tried any of the 30's or my other 2 10's.

7. Bigcountry02

I used the stock 10 rounder, bushmaster 30, 10 & 5 rounder's, PMAG 20 and 30 rounder's. What I have notice is too chamber a rounder from the mag, I have to slightly push up on the mag and movement with ease. This is will all magazines; however, at home Thermold magazines (20 or 30 rounder) would not seat in the magazine well at all, push up and they drop out.

I have not tried SIG AR15 magazine.

The Thermold magazines work in AR platform; except for 1 that does not lock the bolt to the rear!