Mossberg Maverick 88 help.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by RustyShackleford101, Jan 17, 2013.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I just recently scored a used 88. I just have one problem though. The gun came without a plug in the magazine tube and I would like to use it for hunting. Does anybody know where I could get one? Thanks.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You can use a wood dowel or a straight stick. Round the ends.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've used a stick before I found on the ground. Put a plug from an 870 into an 1100, got in a hurry and didn't check for mag capacity. Got to the dove field and put a stick in the mag.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

#2 pencil, full length & unsharpened.

I don't birdhunt, but have talked to people who have used them in their pumpguns.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Any stick will do....

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or you can order one from Brownells.

7. RustyShackleford101

The 88's are kinda weird. I found some " fits all" plugs at brownells but a couple reviewers say they don't fit in 5 round mags, which the 88 has. Goose season is a long time from now, so ill try the # 2 pencil. Thanks guys.

8. RustyShackleford101

I usually go to NY to goose hunt but I hear some pretty tough gun laws got passed there. It's a shame, I loved living in that state in the good ok days.

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd stay out of New York for a while...THEY don't even know whats on the laws....

Go to NY, have a loose bullet in your car, or bag...become a felon for life. Ain't worth it.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

Stay out of New York I have the rotten luck of living in this $hit state.

11. RustyShackleford101

I was in NY until after 04 when the AWB ended and they instated their own. I had it with that state and moved promptly. The honkers and white tails kept bringing me back.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I spent 2 weeks in NY to race horses. There are few places I would rather be than on the backside of a racetrack. After about 3 days I could not wait to get back to New Orleans. I met some nice people at Aqueduct but Queens sux. When the van pulled up to take the horses and I back home I couldn't wait to get in.

13. RustyShackleford101

Yeah, I dislike the city. About three hundred miles north near the Canadian border is some nice country. It's like a whole different place where I grew up.

14. longunner

longunner New Member

Yea a lot of a$$holes in the city. It's too bad then when people think New York they only think about the rotten apple

15. RustyShackleford101

That's what I've had to deal with my whole life.

16. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

To the OP you can buy the plugs at most any LGS or wal-mart. there are some that all you have to do is drop in and if it doesn't allow 2 shells to go in you can remove it and trim to fit.

17. trip

trip New Member

I used a pencil. It's still there.