Mossberg Maverick 88 20 ga

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Ruger22lr, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Went to Walmart and got this today. I wanted to get it since I have a lot 20ga ammo but only have a single shot. It's a 5+1, takes 3" shells, uses the Mossberg Accu Set choke tubes. Was only $199 and $212 with tax. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I got the same thing in 12 ga. a couple of years ago.... I don't get to shoot it much because of the local ranges.. but what little I have shot it, I love it! I got mine at the mart for under $170... but again it was a couple of years ago!

Excellent pick up, I want to get a matching 20ga. it's one of the next things on my "to get" list!

RJ

3. longunner

longunner New Member

Good choice, great gun I love mine.

4. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I just bought one 2 days ago. Did yours come really greasy, in terms of easily putting fingerprints on it, etc...

5. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

No, not at all. Had some oil to protect from rust that's it.

6. longunner

longunner New Member

Mine did too all you gotta do is wipe off the bulk no problem.

7. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Thanks. I thought I was the only one there for a minute.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I would be more worried if it didn't come all oiled up and greasy. :eek:

9. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

For my high school and early college years, my 12 gauge 88 was my go-to Turkey and Goose gun. It's not luxurious, but it hasn't let me down.

10. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

That's exactly why I bought mine. :)

11. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Heres mine i actually cut the barrell and vent rib off my self. Im not quite done with it but its my baby been building it slowly for a while now

ForumRunner_20130603_230307.jpg

12. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Nice!!! Not bad at all.

13. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Thanks man:)

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger22LR, Nice shotgun. I had a 12 gauge model 88 that was picked up for me by my parents ( I was still about 10 months from 18, I saved, they bought it for me) back in October of 1991. that shotgun served me well for over 20 years, and i used it as my primary hunting gun for about 17 of those years. I shot many a 25 out of 25 with it at the local Rod and Gun club's skeet range, and it help up to about a hundred " I need to go ut and shoot something before I go off the deep end!" range sessions. In the 20= years I owned it, I probably fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,500 rounds through it without any issues.

I got rid of it for 2 reasons. It kind of turned into a safe queen after i lost the sight in my right eye, and picked up an 670 due to it fitting my left handed, short fingered, smaller frame. I found the trigger to be a little further forward than was comfortable for me to fire it left handed. Reason 2 was a friend of mine was dealing with some hard times, and his son wanted to start hunting. He couldn't afford a shotgun for his son, so I passed mine down to him. This was a few years back, and his son has already put it to good use helping dad keep food on the table. In the end, that is what is most important to me. Helping out my family whether they are blood, adopted, or just close friends. That shotgun served me well for over two decades, and I expect it will due no less for it's new owner with the proper care.

Enjoy your new shotgun Ruger22LR, Take care of it, and it will do what you ask of it for a long time.

15. Darrel55

Darrel55 New Member

You could have ordered the 18.5" barrel for about $80. Took me about 2 weeks to get it, but now I have two barrels for different uses.

16. longunner

longunner New Member

Did you order it direct from mossberg?

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Maverick 88 is one of the underappreciated shotguns available on the market. just doesn't get the marketing or exposure that many others get, but it's one solid performer.

i bought my first one about 10-12 years ago. a 20' barreled version with the 8 round tube. great gun. the second one i still have and bought it used with a 28" barrel. works great everytime the trigger is pulled. might have to add a 20 ga. with it one day.

18. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I picked up one for my 12ga. at Sportman's Warehouse, locally... think it was like $75.

RJ

19. Garadex

Garadex New Member

20 feet is a long barrel. :D

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

That's what she said. :D