Mossberg M46B(b)

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by cpttango30, May 30, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok I have started work on my latest project a Mossberg Model 46B(b) I have stripped it down and started to work on removing the finish on the wood. Here is where I am at now. I am at the 400 grit sanding stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still up in the air on how I am going to finish the metal. It is down to three things.
    1. Brownells Alumyhyde II in mate black
    2. Brownells Oxpho-Blue cold blue
    3. Gunsmith hot tank blue job.

If I can find a decent smith that will blue it after I strip it for a decent price I may go that route as it will give me the best finish results.

2. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

That looks like a right pretty piece of wood Tango. Post more as you go.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Here is one with some water on it.

[​IMG]

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Stained stock last night. Going to start clearing it today with DEFT Lacquer. Still up in the air on the metal finish.

I started stripping the barrel and I have some pitting on it. But it is not that bad. Need to order some Oxpho-blue today. I also need to order a inner mag tube as the one I have is a short one.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Getting to the last 8 or 10 coats of Lacqure on the stock now.

This is after 6 coats and some wet sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Looks great, keep the updates coming!

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Thats Beautiful. I have two of those guns given to me by my Dad which he received from his great Grandfather and father.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Looks pretty good so far. :cool:

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

That's a beautiful piece of wood! I have done a lot of woodworking and furniture building/refinishing and learned a neat trick to bring out a nice shine. Cut a piece of brown paper bag and place it on a pad sander (preferably a random orbit sander) and buff the wood after applying the last coat of finish and rubbing-out with 0000 steel wool. This works for everything except polyurethane or shellac, but works best on handrubbed oil finishes like tung oil, Danish oil, or linseed oil mixtures.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Done anything recent tango? The stock was looking pretty good!!

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I got a few more pics Will post when I get back from football practice. I think I more fun than my son at these..... Can't wait till the games start.....

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Well the barrel is blued. I ordered Brownells Oxpho blue cream and MY GOD that stuff is good. Never will I blue any other way.

The liquid is good for doing small stuff like screwes and sling swivels ect.... But for actions and barrels the cream or paste is the best. I will take pics later today and post them up.

13. russ

russ New Member

Well cap, where are those pics? :D

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK took a few steps and an entire can of lacquer backwards. I was doing some sanding trying to get rid of the high and low spots and rubbed threw the finish in 2 spots. I tried to repair the spots and blend them but they stuck out like a sore thumb to me. So I am stripping the stock back to bear wood and will work on maybe a video of the finishing process I use on it.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I dunno know what I did different this time BUT OMG here is the results so far. 1 coat of Special walnut stain rubbed in till my are fell asleep then rubbed some more. Then I put on 6 coats of sanding sealer with a 600grit wet sand in between each coat. Then one coat of semi gloss lacquer later here she be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is hard to see but in this picture there is more figure showing now than before about 1/3 of the way down from the top.
    [​IMG]

16. russ

russ New Member

Lookin good Cap.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Pretty good looking Brett, but not quite as nice as my Pep Boys spray can job on 'derTangoplunkungun' but nice just the same!

[​IMG]

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The wood looks good, where's the steel?

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Steel is on the bench not looking so hot. I need to work more on it. I am to the point where I may just dent the barrel and action off to have it hot blued.

20. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nice work tango! What happen to the blueing?