Mossberg ATR Night Train

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, Oct 28, 2013.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

To whom it may concern.....
    Let me start by saying that I'm not going to bash Mossberg because the rifle I got was less than satisfactory, because maybe it is partially my fault as well. The ATR package, IMO, is not one I would ever consider buying or recommend for someone else to purchase. Everything on the rifle was CHEAP and I know you get what you pay for but this is pretty ridiculous. I don't have an exact round count, but I can estimate it at about 200 or so, definitely not very many.

It wouldn't hold a zero for more than 5 or 10 shots. The rings would back themselves out due to the recoil of the rifle, or so I believe, I am no expert but they would always need tightening after 2 or 3 shots. I swear the scope on it must have been turning the turrets itself because after shooting after tightening the rings up it would always be off at least 3 feet to the left or right, usually left :eek: On my most recent range session, after making sure the rings were tight, I took a shot. Guess where it ended up?? 3 feet to the left..:confused: I unscrewed the cap that protects the windage turret and it would spin freely and not click at all:mad:. I checked the tiny flathead screw slots, thinking that could be the problem. I tightened them up, but it still wouldn't click.

That is NOT COOL. I called Mossberg earlier today and the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful and they are going to email me a shipping label to send in the rifle for repair or replacement....:mad::(

So now, after taking the rings off I see this:

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sounds like two problems are going on. looking at the base, it looks like a soft aluminum base. i'd replace it with a steel base. the scope sounds like it has it's own issues as well with the turrets being that loose. i'd think about seeing if the scope was under warranty as well. or replace it with a better scope.

i had a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 that i put a 4-12x42 Nikon Prostaff on, that recoiled like the Hammer of Thor, and that rifle never lost it's zero when i had it. it was dead nuts accurate, but the recoil was horrible.

3. longunner

longunner New Member

Yea I'm going to send it in and hopefully they will fix whatever needs fixing and when I get it back ill upgrade the base, rings and scope when funds allow it. I'm disappointed that I never got even halfway decent groups with it, especially the way you say yours performs

4. Axxe55

beings they are sending you a shipping label, i'd go ahead and send it in and have it checked out, just to be sure.

hope you get yours fixed. the Mossberg is actually a pretty decent rifle. i loved the groups mine would get with handloads i worked up for it. mine would have been the perfect deer killer!

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Got any good recommendations for rings, a mount and glasS? I don't want to break the bank but I definitely want quality this time around

6. Axxe55

try MidwayUSA. browse through and look at the reviews on the products they carry. usually sticking with the known brands, you will do okay. i use a lot of different bases and rings, but most of mine are usually Weavers, Redfield and Bushnells.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Very good company to do business with! I bought all of my TruGlo's from them.

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Some people may not agree with what I am about to say, but I had a leapers and a barska on a few different rifles and they preformed flawlessly. Glass was exceptionally clear on both and held zero very well. With that said, neither scope was a $1000 leopold, but very good optics for the money.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

That's funny you should mention Barska, because I have a chance to buy their prismatic 2x30 sight if I decide I don't like the TruGlo on the 702 or the SA-20, I can pull one of them off and go with the smaller bodied Barska...for about the same price...

11. longunner

longunner New Member

I've been meaning to follow up on this...got the rifle back from Mossberg. They replaced the scope, threw it in a box and sent it back to me. When I got it I wondered why it got here so quick. I opened the box and noticed they gave me the optic from the night train 2. Its still a Barska so I don't really trust it but it definitely seems like a step up. I took the scope off to see if they replaced the mount, same one as when I sent it in and it was still loose. I'm wondering how they didn't notice that it was like that when they took the scope off....they will be getting a call from me soon....

Edit: Just got off the phone with a customer service rep. He said they will be sending me a new base...They have been really helpful with all of this but it still sucks to have to go through the process...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013