Mossberg atr 100

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cblowe13, Jul 9, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Possibly picking one up tomorrow with no scope but has the rings on it. Looks in 90% condition few marks were it had ben shot on the barrel. It's a 30-06. Anyone know what accuracy is like on this gun and what to expect? And I would like to here what someone would pay for this gun just to see before you hear what I'm going to pay lol

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I sell the gun at retail with a scope for $299.99. Great little shooter, with a good scope on it one should get close to MOA grouping. I saw on YouTube where a guy replaced the factory scope and stock, and he was shooting just over 1/2MOA.

3. longunner

longunner New Member

Expect a LOT of recoil! My cousin has one in 06 and it kicks almost as hard as my 12 when I shoot slugs out of it. Good gun though, I haven't really sat down and shot good groups with mine though, can't find any .308 :mad:

4. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Recoil is my favorite!! Hell shooting slugs out of my bolt action 10 gauge is a blast

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Then this is the rifle for you! Let us know what happens and don't forget....pics or it didn't happen :p

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I gotcha! Oh and the price with no scope is 125 great bargain if you ask me!

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yes that is a great buy. Want your money back? :)

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Mossberg ATR100 is a good solid rifle, well made and pretty danged accurate. as mentioned, they do have some stiff recoil. i highly recommend them for a hunting rifle, but not for target shooting.

when i had mine a few years ago, with handloads, mine was very accurate. Mossbergs have a solid reputation. the only reason i traded mine was because of the recoil. i tried different things but just couldn't soften up the felt recoil. if you can handle the recoil, then you will be pleased with the rifle.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have one in 30 06 and it shoots pretty well. Recoil is a bit beastly so I am hoping to change the stock, I really prefer wood anyway. For the money they are pretty good shooters.:)

10. Axxe55

yes they are! DJ, check out Boyd's Gun Stocks. they offer a few laminated and walnut stocks for the ATR100. i have used two of their stocks on a couple of rifles and the quality is top notch and the prices are decent. i highly recommend them.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've been looking at them. My biggest issue is figuring out just what I want for this rifle. I'm left handed but shoot long guns left and right handed. So I don't know if I want ot hunt a lefty stock, a righty stock, or one htat will accommodate either. Ah the world of a southpaw. But if this stays the biggest problem I have I'll be happy about it..heh I'm leaning to one that IO can shoot either way. It jsut ticks people off when I switch:p But the allure of a left handed stock is hard to resist. I set one of mt 22's up that way and love it.

It's funny, I have no real desire to get a left handed action as I have long grown used to shooting "regular guns wrong handed" But the lefty stocks have always interested me.

12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What's a three shot group around 100 yards?

13. Axxe55

with some loads i worked up, i was getting well under 1/2" groups at a 100 yards with mine. i have heard of others getting similiar results.

14. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Sounds like a tack driver

15. Axxe55

i wouldn't go quite that far! but it was very accurate, given it's cost.

16. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

1/2" group is def a rack driver! And well beyond worth the cost id say

17. Axxe55

well i considered it pretty good. IIRC, i paid $250 for mine used with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. i kept it about a year and then traded it for a Taurus Tracker 44 Magnum pistol.

like i said, for me the problem was recoil. i use to do a lot of target shooting and that rifle just hammered me like a 300 Win. Mag.! if i am going to shoot something that hammers like a 300 WM, then i am going to shoot a 300 WM!

but all in all, it's a good decent hunting rifle with very good accuracy.

18. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Wanna trade your magnum :)

19. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

) even better deal ill sell you box of 525 federal .22's for $200 :)

20. Axxe55

that Tracker 44 Magnum is my woods gun for snakes and hogs. it carries quite well and i am decently accurate with it. with it's ported 4" barrel, it's actually quite gentle as far as recoil.