Mossberg 930

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Polygon, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Just wondering what everyone thought of this shotgun? I'm looking for something for trap shooting. I'm not looking to spend a ton because I'm just getting into it. I was looking for a Beretta 3901 but I can't seem to find them. If you have any other suggestions let me know as well.

And why is it do hard to find a shotgun in a walnut finish these days?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

For sport, for a traditional outline gun, the Mossberg 930 is award winning. I think if you find the standard sport cartridge cycles and you clean the thing all the time it is probably a fine choice.

I do NOT recommend the 930 SPX as a defensive arm!

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Another cheaper dependable is the STOEGER m3500 I bought mine for $555 and I haven't a problem yet it has cycles everything from 1oz Target loads to 3 1/2 in turkey loads

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Yeah, I'm using this for trap only. No hunting and certainly not as defensive.

Thanks, I'll check it out as well.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

Also weatherby makes a really pretty auto for a good price

6. Polygon

Polygon New Member

It's been a while since I've posted about this again and I'm getting ready to buy. I'm thinking I want to go with the 930. But I'm wondering, should I go with something with a 3" chamber or 3 1/2" chamber?

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

I like 3 1/2 for turkeys but 3 inch will work ok also

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I'm 99% sure I'll never use it for hunting, just trap. Just wondering which would be better to use, or is there one that is harder to find?

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

If ur never gonna hunt with it I would buy the 3 inch gun....the 930 and 935 are both readily available at any mossberg dealer

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Polygon,

I have a Mossberg Model 930 Camo Turkey and it is a fine shotgun! I have owned it for around 4 years.
    In fact I just put one of the new EOTech Holographic camo sight on it today and zeroed it in for a Turkey hunt coming up in Texas in a few weeks. I also love the regular fiber optic sights on the gun! It is a fine weapon and I would highly recommend it. And they do not cost an arm and a leg either! Good price and good quality.

11. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I want to thank everyone for all the help. I'm going to get a 26" 930 in walnut. Going to put on layaway right now on Bud's!

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

get a longer barrel for trap

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

Congrats on the new buy I hope u enjoy it

14. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Why would you say that?

Thanks!

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

read above

16. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

So why isnt it good for self defense? I am new to shotguns and just wondering.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I see.

I'm new to this. I've never shot trap but I want to get into it and I just wanted a good semi-auto to start with. There will also be a lot of that other stuff, just chucking clays. I'm planning on moving to a more serious gun later on.

Speaking of chokes... can you change them with the 930?

18. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yes you can change the chokes on those guns

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Perfect!

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sure if I decide to get serious about trap I'll be back bugging you about which gun to get again.

20. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Well, it looks like I waited one day too long and when I went to put the 930 on layaway it was out of stock. I can't find it anywhere now in walnut. I drives me nuts because I don't want synthetic and I certainly don't want cammo. So, I ended up going to Google and doing some research and ended up getting a Weatherby SA08 Deluxe in walnut. I took Tony's advice and bougt the 28" barrel instead of the 26" barrel.

Weatherby SA08 @ Bud's Gun Shop

Thanks again everyone!