Mossberg 930 vs. Stoeger M2000

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by John2Fast11, Dec 5, 2008.

1. John2Fast11

John2Fast11 New Member

Im in the market right now for a reliable waterfowl semi-auto shotgun that is in a decent price range between $500-$700. I've been looking at the Mossberg 930/935 and the Stoeger M2000. I don't know much about the Mossberg other than the fact that i heard it is reliable and easy to maintain, and someone told me about the Stoeger M2000 and that it has the inertia driven system like the Benelli's. Any input on either of the guns would be great. Thanks.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Either are good guns. The Stoeger is going to be my next shotgun. It is a Benelli with slightly less attractive wood other than that it is exactly the same.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Any of these are good. Benelli is the ultimate autoloader if this is the way you want to go. I have an M1 Super 90 and it's awesome. I also have a Mossy 500 pump, and it's very dependable.

You'll just have to get what YOU like.

Attached Files:

4. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

This was a plain old Mossberg 500 I bought for $75.00 at a pawn shop. For another $80.00 in parts, I converted into a Home Defence Tactical shotgun. So, for less than $200.00 I have a really mean-looking dependable pump shotgun.

Attached Files:

5. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

The 935 was designed for 3" and 3.5" shells. If you want a more versatile shotgun go with the 930.

The 930 gas system is very similar to the Winchester Super X2 & FN SLP shotguns. The 930 is an excellent value. Buy the combo model 28" & 18.5" barrels and use it as a HD shotgun too. Choate makes the mag tube extensions for them.

The recoil of the M2000 with the Inertia Driven® operating system will be stout. It can also be very picky with the loads it likes. If you plan to use heavy loads it is not a big deal. Benelli parts can be hard to get and their customer service is lacking.

I would go with the 930.

GC

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I INSIST on begging to differ with you on the inertia action operated shotguns, in particular the Stoeger mentioned. Have you ACTUALLY shot inertia operated shotguns side by side with the mossberg? I'm betting not but you need to. I have both Benelli and Stoeger 2000, as well as gas operated shotguns, and have nephew that comes out to shoot with an mossberg 930. We've concluded the inertia operated shotguns actually recoil less. You are COMPLETELY ABSOLUTLY wrong about inertia shotguns being picky with light loads UNLESS they are designed with 3 1/2" capability-same as any gas operated semiauto designed for heavy loads. The Stoeger 2000 is 3" maximum and will operate with the lightest 2 3/4 target loads to the heaviest 3" turkey loads with NO adjustments.

7. MAX100

MAX100 New Member

8. hunts4ducks67

hunts4ducks67 New Member

I bought a Stoeger 2000 the first year they came out. I paid $369 for a synthetic one with a 26" barrel. I swore I would put this gun through its paces. I never took it apart for a solid two years of hunting. I rubbed it down and ran a rod through the barrel, but never took it apart to clean it other than that. I must say. It is my favorite gun to use. I also own a Benelli SBEII with a 26" barrel in synthetic as well. Unless I'm hunting from a pit, I prefer the Stoeger. It's lighter, swings better, and is easier to mount from a layout blind than the Benelli. When it comes to hunting geese, I use Heavy Shot #4 or #2 in 3". It hits like a tank. I find no need for using the 3 1/2" shells or even the heavy shot in 3 1/2". It has not jammed one time since I've owned it. I've had it for 4 or 5 yrs now, can't remember. I'd buy another one.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I am sure from what I have seen reported here on the FTF that the Stoeger is also a good shotgun. I have a Mossberg 930 Turkey (Camo) That I like very well. It is an excellent shooter and I have an EOTech Model 512 on it. Works great for Turkeys and a Coyote when hunting wooded areas. Obviously has the interchangeable choke tubes. Like the camo also! Probably can not go wrong either way you go. I boils down to your personal preference.

10. lyons4747

lyons4747 New Member

i had the m2000 and i absolutely hated it!!! it was constantly jamming it wouldnt cycle rounds a terrible gun!!! i now have the 935 and i like it much much better

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have a m2000 defense model with the 18.5" barrel. It has a dependable action and does what I want. Really light loads may cause some trouble with the action cycling, but I haven't had any problems since I got a few hundred rounds through mine. It wouldn't eat the game loads at first, but will now. I'm happy with mine. I've shot thousands of rounds of 12 gauge through Winchester, Remington, and Mossberg pumps and don't think the Stoeger has more recoil than they did. I've only feared recoil when it was warm weather and we were shooting pheasant loads with only a t-shirt on, so I might just be more tolerant of it.

12. DanStefOutdoors

DanStefOutdoors New Member

Mossberg or Stoeger?

I am a hardcore Rem 870 user. but i need to buy my girlfriend a low-recoil semi-auto for waterfowl and wild turkey hunting. I am trying to decide between the Mossberg 930 or the Stoeger M2000. I need lightweight, reliable but driving factor is low recoil. any advice would be appreciated.

13. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Go find a nice used Beretta A303 or Browning B-80 (they are both made by Beretta and are identical). You should be able to find one in that price range.

14. Slugo

Slugo New Member

I agree...

Even a new Beretta 3901 will cost you about five bills. The 930 is a pretty good gun, but Stoeger is another story. Borrowed a friends 2000 and tried shooting two rounds of clays with it. Could't swallow target loads worth a crap...