Mossberg 930 - Remington ?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Magnum27, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

What is the equivalent Remington auto loader compared to the 930? I have seen the 930 in action on Hot Shots and it looks awesome. Also I have seen you can get it for about $500-$600 is that right.

I really like Remington's as well and wanted to see what would be comparable.

Any experience people have would be great. Thanks!

2. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Remington just came out with the versa max. It can shoot all three lengths without having to make any changes to the gun.

3. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

That is pretty cool. What do they to for. I thought I heard they were double the 930 cost.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The 11-87 is comparable to the 930. Both shoot 3" max. I prefer the Remington because they just feel better and I can operate one in total darkness, but the Mossbergs have a lot of fans too.

5. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

1300 is the msrp. According to remingtons site. The only downfall is it doesn't come with wood furniture. Black or camo synthetic.

6. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

So it appears the 11-87 is really the Remington I should compare it to since I am seeing somewhere in the $500 neighborhood for the 930.

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

If 3" is all you need, yes.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Remington 11-87 has a self regulating gas system that allows it to (allegedly) shoot everything from light field loads to 3" Mags. For me, it points very naturally and is easy to shoot.

The Mosberg 930 has a reputation for not liking the light loads.

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

1187's could be had in Supermag (3.5") version but IIRC they seemed to have some issues.

I don't run a 3.5" auto. Use an 870 for that (only ran 2 3/4 and 3" through it so far- did get some Blindside 3.5" BB to try, maybe).

Prefer Bismuth to steel ($ ouch!) and 3" mags in #2 there work really well on geese.

So my intent is to run a 3" mag 1100.

No 1187's for me.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'd say the 11-87 is most comparable to the 930. However, the 930 has a "break in" period where it may or may not cycle lighter loads at first until you get around 50-100 rounds through it. Some need more, and some cycle light loads right out of the box.

11. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

I have run onto this problem myself. It will fail to cycle about 25% of the time with Winchester target loads. What would you recommend I use to get it trough its break in?

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

930 was Gun of the Year a coupla years ago. It did seem to have some reliability issues at first and has to be kept clean. Remington quality has turned to sh... Ooops, almost gave it away again -- sorry!

13. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

When I bought the Mosberg I also picked up a Remington 887 Nitro Tactical. That was the one my wife wanted. Lol. We have had no issues with it at all.

I haven't been shooting long enough at this point to develop any real opinions on weapons other than I like what I own. Not sure I like the hidden hammer on the Glock handguns, but I had the chance to shot one chambered for the .40 s&w. I liked my Sig P220 better, but I only ran two magazines through the Glock.

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Glocks don't have a conventional hammer as such, but a striker. It's a love it or hate it gun in my opinion. I haven't liked every Sig I have seen, but they are all well made guns.

15. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Just as a beginner, I have come to the conclusion that if it burns powder and goes bang it can't be all bad.

I think I am going to try to find a couple hundred rounds of #4 buck and or 00 buck to run though the 930. The folks that sold me my 930 sold me a few boxes of #4 in three inch shells for home defense. I have yet to use any of them. I am not sure how much difference there is between 2.75 in and 3. Dose the three just have more black powder or more shot and powder?

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

You really haven't had much experience. There are some ALL bads out there.

17. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Lol, such as the Carcano rifle?

Still my question stands is there much difference between the 2.75 and three inch shot shells?

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Yes. Approximately 1/2 ounce of shot shooting capability. Approximately 1-1/8 ounce difference in factory loaded shot capacity. 2.75 shells run from 7/8 ounces at 1170 FPS up to 1.5 ounces of lead at 1275. Three inch run from about 1-1/8 ounce (in steel) up to over 2 ounces in lead turkey loads. I do not think you really run into a NEED for 3" shells until you get into shooting waterfowl. A lot of people use 3" for turkey too, but I think you can use 2.75" successfully on them. That's pur opinion. Waterfowl requires non-toxic shot and most people use steel and you need 3" steel for anything but close stuff. I have decoys and calls, but sometimes they don't just drop right in like on TV.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO 3" for home defense is just silly, unless you have a problem with bears invading your home. People are just not that hard to stop. 2.75" OO Bick is more than adequate for two legged vermin at household distances.

3" shells have more powder and more shot. They tend to shoot heavier loads of shot at comparable velocities to 2 3/4" loads. And, they don't have "black powder". They use smokeless powder.

20. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Ok, that works for me. I also ended up with several boxes of Winchester 2.75 slug. I plan on trying some of that this week at the range