mossberg 835 question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bigdaddy573, Mar 7, 2012.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I have been looking at a couple of 835s at my lgs and I'm trying to decided if it's worth upgrading my 500 to one for the 3 1/2in chamber one has a cheap red dot and the other one just has a bead sight thanks for your help.

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

I would go with a 535 before I bought an 835 bc the 835s have the oversized bore like the 935s and from what have seen and read that don't pattern well with turkey loads I'm not sure about other loads

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I would but they only have the 835s used I'm waiting till after Turkey season before i go trading

4. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

If you really feel the need for 3½" chamber, then go for it. I've got a 835 but mostly shoot just 2 3/4" and 3" shells. As for the sights, I put a fiber optic on mine, works for me but YMMV.

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

How is yours on recoil with the 3 1/2 shells

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

6. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Haha, it's not that bad really, but a good recoil pad helps. I do shoot them for fun, but it stops being fun after 15 or so :p

7. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Well I've never shot one but seems like every year I get that one bird to hang up out of range and I tried of it lol

8. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Yeah, that's really annoying. The 3½" shells might give you just the extra kick you need for that. And it's also fun to put friends behind the trigger with those loads if they've never shot them before :D

9. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol ya but all my friends use them and they love them and they tell me i should switch to them

10. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I've understood most people use 3½" for turkey in the US. Would be fun to try, but we don't have any around here.

11. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Where u live

12. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

In Finland, says right there in my profile.

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I'm on a phone so I can't see that much detail on the profiles

14. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Oh, ok. Sometimes forget that many are actually browsing the forum with their phones.

15. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Yep so what type of game do u have over there

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  16. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Don't have any pics of my own, nothing special really, rabbits, mallards, black grouse, hazel grouse, wood grouse, pigeons are what most people hunt, then there are brown bear, deer and moose of course. Varmints and predators we have are red fox, raccoon dog, mink, wolves, lynx.

I hunt usually just rabbits and grouse. I'm very much a novice when it comes to hunting and thats why I usually go with a friend of mine so he can teach me. We've been talking about making a trip to Estonia to hunt pigs as there aren't any in Finland.

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

That's cool idk about the brown bear part lol but I do a lot of squirrel and rabbit hunting on the off season and I do my coyote and deer hunting during the winter

18. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I'd like to go deer hunting with my grandfather, but don't really have time because of school and work. Recently haven't really even got time to get to the range :mad:

19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Well I can't go to the range cuz it closed down and deer hunting is a blast

20. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

That is totally incorrect.

The 835 is probably one of the best shooting shotguns made.

You can shoot some of the densest patterns with good shooting Hevi-13 loads.