Mossberg 817 .17 HMR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by c3shooter, Jul 13, 2010.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods this afternoon- looking thru the rack of rifles, and spotted a tiny little bolt action. Mossberg 817 International- a sporter, black synthetic stock, scope bases- in 17 HMR. I have not owned one of the "needle guns", but have run a few rounds through one at our range. Hmmm- what is the price tag on this...... HOLY CRAP? EIGHTY NINE DOLLARS ? When I asked the sales clerk to verify the price, he checked and said "No, that not right. There is 10% off on those this week."

Just about sprained my wrist getting my wallet out. Just finished putting some glass on it, and will be headed for the range this week. Checked a few of the on-line auctions, and I seem to have done very well- less than half of the going price. Anybody looking for a "mouse gun", you might want to check Dick's this week.

Pictures to follow.

2. AusLach

AusLach New Member

You will love the little .17. No recoil, hits like a sledgehammer within 175 yards with 20 grainers on game up to goat size, and will shoot the hairs off a gnat's ar*e at the range :D

Plus, at $89, how could you go wrong?!

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've been thinking about a marlin bolt action .17HMR for long range fun and squirrels. :)

4. c3shooter

Aus- that was 10% off $89! Came to $80.10 !!! That is about the least I have paid for a firearm in a long time.

5. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I am insanely jealous. Down here the cheapest rimfires sell for about $300 and the cheap centrefires go for about $700 new. You will love the .17, make sure you post some pics and a range report!

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Pretty good deal - eight years ago my Marlin 17V ran me well more than twice that! Shoots like a laser - heck, I haven't heard of a .17HMR that doesn't! Comes about as close as possible to the mythical 'Inherrently accurate cartridge'!

:)

7. mrasgt

mrasgt New Member

c3

come on, you're funning us with that price, right?:)

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Either way he stoled it! [​IMG]

9. mrasgt

mrasgt New Member

17hmr

:mad::mad:Well, I called our local Dick's here in Maine, the gun guy said they had no mossbergs in stock, I guess I missed out:mad::mad:

10. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

Well, I have to say you had to be the first to see that little gun, cause anyone in their right mind would have jumped on it.
    I want a 17 at some point, as a long range squirrel, rabbit, armadillo, coon, and oppossum gun.
    A rimefire movin along at 2550 is somethin to drool over, Congrats!

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

How's the 817 treating you? Have you had it at the range yet?

Here's a pic of a fox I took the other night at 120yrds with my CZ 17HMR. Little bastard was sitting about 5 metres behind a ewe waiting for it to lamb and a free dinner.

His eye was all I could see, so that's what I aimed at and it hit only 2mm below, very good ballistics!

Attached Files:

12. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The .17HMR is a good round. My Marlin 917V for the 1st 300 rounds shot only 20gr well. Since I still had a few boxes of 17gr I figured what the hell. Much to my surprise they were like lasers. I was hitting targets to 150 yards while others with centerfires were missing them. We were shooting steel, so that little plink told the story. 6" at 150, could have been better, but they left no mark on the steel. Hell I paid $200.00 for the gun from a shop that owed me a favor a few years ago. $200.00 was cheap at the time. Great woodchuck gun. My CZ527 .223 was dominant that day though.

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I bought my 817 almost a exactly a year ago, and I love it! you will not be disappointed in this purchase at all. I bought mine for $180 at Dicks. It's the most accurate gun i own by far believe it or not. Just don't shoot a squirrel within 50 yds.... it gets messy :D

15. c3shooter

Panda- never seen a prairie dog at 200 meters smacked with a .220 Swift, have ya? :p

POOF!:eek:

Just got the scope zeroed on the new .17 Mossy- but has been too stinking hot to do serious shooting (was 106 on Saturday) Waiting for things to chill a bit, so I can shoot without sweat running over the rifle, scope, sandbags, etc.

16. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

you caught me on that one :eek:

looks like I'll have to add that to my to-do list!