Mossberg 590sp

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Tonydiaz1123, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Tonydiaz1123

Tonydiaz1123 New Member

So just recently purchased this shotgun. My question is even though it's a smooth bore can I get the barrel tap for a tactical choke without it interfering with a rifled slug?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What kind of tactical choke?

What do you hope the choke will accomplish.

What do you really want the shotgun to be able to do with shot and what do you want it to do with slugs?

What kind if shot do you plan to run?

Do you plan to run hollow base foster slugs or Brenekke slugs?

3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

4. Tonydiaz1123

Tonydiaz1123 New Member

I don't wanna take away me shooting anything. Can I shoot either with the choke.

5. Underdog

Underdog Member

You can have the barrel threaded for chokes. But once you do that you will always have to have a choke installed when shooting it or you will damage the threads in the barrel. You can also shoot rifles slugs from it as long as you don't use too tight of a choke. I have a mossberg 500 witth a 20" barrel and I run a modified choke in it for HD and range fun, and it shoots slugs perfect. I also shot it a few times with a full choke with slugs and it did well. Another thing to consider when picking out a choke is the type of ammo you will be shooting. Some chokes are made for lead shot and can't handle steel shot. Do a little research and you will find a perfect combination for your needs and type of shooting that you will be doing.

Also I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "Tactical" choke, can you explain?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

expanding on what Underdog said, threading a shotgun barrel for a screw-in choke requires special tools and a gunsmith competent in doing the job. it will not be cheap. you might buy another barrel already threaded much cheaper.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not worth it, positively. You can get a separate rifled barrel, or a choked barrel.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can shoot anything with the right choke. I was just wondering what you were hoping the choke would accomplish. Tighter patterns, more open patterns, control recoil, or what? I'm not sure what a "tactical" choke is. Most chokes are for some sporting application, like tight chokes for turkeys and really tight chokes for geese, or more open chokes for skeet or trap shooting. There are breecher muzzle devices to keep a shotgun back a bit for blowing hinges and locks out if doors, bug those are fairly specialized.

You could look at having a barrel back-bored and compensated, like a Vang-comp barrel. It gives tighter shot patterns, has no screw in chokes to worry about, reduces recoil, and is safe with all shot and will shoot rifled slugs without having to change anything. Not cheap though.

Again, just wasn't sure what you wanted the shotgun to do.