Mossberg 590 Shockwave Nightstick

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PANDEMIC, Mar 31, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful info! How does the 14" pistol grip stock gun do with birdshot? is it more or less recoil or is it just about the same with a full sized shotgun? I have alot of birdshot on hand, and so just curious how it does with a 14" barreled shotgun.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

It's really more of a question of choke over barrel length. These are all going to be cylinder bore, so whether it's a 14" barrel or 18" barrel won't make a tremendous difference. Typical promo (soft lead) birdshot loads will shoot about the same, might even shoot doughnuts (hole in center of target, like a doughnut. In a typical room, your pattern will be about the size of a baseball/softball are the widest spread.

We shot moving targets during our shotgun firearms training, including sawed-offs we saved from being destroyed just for training purposes. Using the FBI's Combat Skeet lesson plan, anyone who wished to do so could use whatever they chose. From the station 7 on the skeet range, a couple of Deputies could hit the low house going away target from the hip consistently using the standard 870 18" riot gun. Pistol gripped from the hip was waste of clay pigeons and ammo. Sawed-offs (one was an Ithaca side-by-side with a 10" barrel, an H&R Handi-gun, and a single-shot 12 ga) uh ..most only shot them once, period.

Now - that was done with low-recoil # 9 or 7 1/2 shot in 2 3/4" shells. Fun stuff. Stick in the 3" Magnum full power buckshot or slugs (not at thrown clay pigeons), after not very many rounds people started to not enjoy the shooting so much.

So, if my life depends on it, I'd not trust the shockwave nor nightstick to protect me.

primer1, RKB, Mongo and 2 others like this.

3. PANDEMIC

Gotcha, I just saw a YT video on it just now, and its not bad with birdshot it seems doable. With buckshot it seems to where it kicks harder. I've shot 00BK on my Maverick 88 and its twice more recoil then bird. So it might be a little harder to hold onto now that the shockwave has a pistol grip.

This guy lost control of it a few times with buckshot mainly because he underestimated it and didn't hold onto it properly. I got really used to my Maverick 88 and pretty good with it so this shockwave may be a challenge and fun at the same time lol. But I don't know yet, we'll see. It defiantly looks like a fun gun for some reason and its small lol that's why I like it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherriffjohn, I agree with you. I see no serious use for the shockwave other than a toy. Maybe with a brace if that is legal. My 20" coach gun is 4.5" shorter than an 18.5" pump or auto. My 18.5" single is 6" shorter than an 18.5" pump or auto. I like my shoulder stock.

sheriffjohn and towboater like this.
  5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Police need to know the law better than I. If they don't they should be held PERSONALLY responsible.
    /rant

Why is the shockwave a gimmick? Long story, I have two and haven't shot even the first one yet.

6. JTJ

The term is "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." It goes both ways.

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

"Why is the shockwave a gimmick?"

Because all it does is allow you to have a barrel shorter than 18" by adding length at the other end of the gun. They can't be shorter than 26" overall.
    Using these guns with a legal brace does offer some utility, but you have to practice heavily to effectively use one with the pistol grip.

8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

This is my home defence gun. Stevens 320 12ga,
    28238157_293375021190949_5781987980115867409_o.jpg

PANDEMIC likes this.
  9. PANDEMIC

Nice! What optic is that?

10. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

Who the hell take 2 whole minutes to change the barrel on a gun like that?!

11. JTJ

You are supposed to unload them first.:rolleyes:

12. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

"Supposed to" being the key words. ;)

13. sheriffjohn

Shorter weapon is easier to conceal, handier for creeping around inside buildings, and doing drive-bys. Short barrels allow you to not stick the gun barrel out in front of you where a bad person might grab and take it away from you. The 14" barrel 870 with standard stock used to be available to L.E. Agencies with the standard stock but was an NFA item. My point is this : If you anticipate getting into a gunfight, arm yourself with something YOU are proficient with to the point you KNOW you will be the best shot in the battle. Only serious practice will get you there. IF you are not prepared to kill another human being knowing all the consequences, best not put yourself in a position to have to do so.

That being said, if you're not prepared to do great bodily harm to another person regardless of the weapon you choose, be sure to grind off any sharp edges and protrusions so when the bad person takes it away from you it won't hurt as much when they stick it up your behind. As any experienced law enforcement officer will tell you there are a whole lot of "KILL ME M.....R's" out there who aren't easily coerced into complying with your commands even with a gun pointed at them.

As I said before, we had the pistol-grip 870's, trained with them, some were issued them. When I ran K-9s as a young deputy I had a High Standard Model 10 semi-auto bullpup 12 gauge with a built-in flashlight which I purchased myself and carried while running the dogs. It had a swivel buttplate and could be fired from the shoulder but kicked awful because it would only function with high brass shells. Flashlight eventually failed and couldn't be fixed because it was built into the gun. Later models had a detachable flashlight. It was a good design for its intended purpose.

Anyway ..if those are your thing, by all means get one. I had my fun with them just as I did with American 180's, H&K full autos, a PPSH 41, and MP40. Back in the Day.

PANDEMIC and towboater like this.
  14. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Oh, I would heart an MP40!
    Or better yet, an M1 Thompson!

sheriffjohn likes this.
  15. sheriffjohn

Admittedly I am an exception to most police chiefs and sheriffs being a gun stroke. In classes and qualifications if we covered the required material/exercises in time I'd have something interesting for deputies/cadets to play with and learn about. While 9mm ammo was plentiful, the PPSH ammo was pricey and we only had a drum magazine for it. Subsequent Sheriff saw no need to "keep that stuff around" and reportedly got rid of them. Oh well. We never had a Thompson but the prison had a consecutive numbered pair of what I think were 1927 models as well as the three American 180's (which I acquired for our Sheriff's Office).

Apparently, the Germans had hotter 9mm ammo than what we see today for the
    MP40. I acquired some WWII German 9mm ammo which upped the firing rate on the old MP40 but it shot fine with cheap FMJ's

primer1 and towboater like this.
  16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I like a stock on a shotgun.

towboater likes this.
  17. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I won’t be buying one of those shorty shotguns because I think we are one mass shooting away from it becoming the next bumpstock. In any case they require a LOT of training to be proficient with them and specialized techniques. My preferred ammo for SD and HD is slugs so I need a stock and accurate aiming devices on my Shotguns.

towboater likes this.
  18. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

I kinda doubt that. In the eyes of the anti-gun media, AOW/SBS shotguns aren't scary guns like the AR-14 is.

Mongo likes this.
  19. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would consider a shockwave in .410, which would minimalize the recoil problem where holding in front of the face.

An accomplished shooter should be able to practice with it enough to get good with it.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  20. JTJ

I could see it with a laser but I dont trust a laser as my only means of aiming. I dont trust red dots either. I want back up sights.