Mossberg 590 Shockwave Nightstick

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PANDEMIC, Mar 31, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Been doing some research on possibly buying another shotgun. I've already got one, a Maverick 88 12G with a 28" barrel but have been deciding on a Mossberg 500 12G 18.5" barrel with a walnut stock and walnut forearm or the Mossberg 590 Shockwave Nightstick also with a walnut grip and forearm but it has a 14" barrel and is like 26" OVL.

I think the Mossberg 500 is like $360 or something like that retail price. And the shockwave is a little over $400 which is a little pricey for a pistol style shotgun that doesn't seem to have to many uses.

Which one would you choose for like a home defense/truck gun?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

The 500.
    The Shockwave is a limited use gimmick gun.

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I too would go with the 500.

SRK97 likes this.
  4. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better.

5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

500, unless you were to put a brace on the shockwave

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Or you could just get an 18.5" barrel for the Maverick. About 2 minutes to swap if you are not clumsy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l won't own a Shockwave because: if a cop see's it he/she is likely to assume it is an illegal weapon and impound your vehicle after you are arrested.

8. PANDEMIC

Your right, but I'm just wanting a different style shotgun to add not just swap out barrels.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  9. PANDEMIC

But its completely legal, it doesnt classify as a class II because its within the legal length that doesnt require a tax stamp.

JTJ and SRK97 like this.
  10. PANDEMIC

20200401_154946.jpg

I don't know why but I saw some YT videos on the shockwave and its shorta grabbing my attention lol.

11. JTJ

Happened to a man in AZ. Prosecutor called the lgs where he bought it and got told the facts of life. Said I guess I better let him go. Then came the law suit against the city.

12. PANDEMIC

So the AZ guy sued the city? Because they failed to look up the facts and just "assumed" that he had an illegal firearm in his possession?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  13. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Not every Cop is a firearms expert. The 14" barrel seems to go against the 18" rule. l would say it could easily be an honest mistake on the part of a Cop.

14. JTJ

The prosecutors tell the defendants it is your duty to know the law. Works both ways. I dont know what the outcome was but they had him in jail. If they had listened to him and checked the law before they booked him it would not have happened.

Mongo likes this.
  15. PANDEMIC

Ah makes sense now, so they booked him based on an assumption that the firearm was illegal to have. Then they call his LGS he bought it from, sounds like it all got straighten out that he didnt do anything wrong or broke any laws and its perfectly legal to own without any additional paperwork etc. And it sounds like they let him go, then I guess he filed the law suit because they didnt look up the laws first to begin with.

16. PANDEMIC

I agree, not every cop is gonna know what items are considered NFA and which ones are not. It can get really confusing at times. So they may just make an honest mistake as you mentioned, that its automatically an SOS (Sawed Off Shotgun) or SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) and that its immeditely an NFA item. But I'm sure if you explain it to them that its perfectly fine to have, then you're good. The OVL exceeds 26", if its below that or the shotgun is modified in a way (like taking off the pistol grip, or cutting the barrel even shorter) basically anything to bring that number even lower, then its a Class II NFA item.

17. JTJ

Once you are booked and it is entered into the electronic records it never goes away. He now has an arrest record. He goes to buy a gun and a red flag comes up. I would want that record expunged and they better figure out a way to do it or it is going to cost them a lot of money.

Mongo likes this.
  18. JTJ

If you want something short to store in a vehicle, you might look at a coach gun. Mine comes apart with a latch and makes a 20" package. I have a Stoeger 20 gauge double trigger with walnut stock. You can get sub caliber rifled inserts for break action shotguns. Also have a short single barrel 20 with screw in choke. Maverick has an over/under Thunder Ranch 12 gauge.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  19. PANDEMIC

Thanks! I'll definitely look into those.

20. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Those 14" pistol grip stock guns require a lot of practice to become proficient with. Hitting a stationary target at a reasonable distance (10 yards) center of mass with 9 pellets consistently is difficult and it gets harder the closer you get. Hitting a moving target (running, ducking, hiding behind cover/concealment) will take a LOT more practice.

They are painful to shoot with full-house loads. If you hold them up to sight down the barrel, recoil can easily get you punched in the face with the butt. They are easily concealed, true enough and look cool.

I'd opt for an 18.5" barrel and over-folding stock as we had on some 870's back in the day. Only 4.5" longer than the nightstick and you can actually hit something with them.
    Their disadvantage is that the weld between your cheek and the buttstock will smack you if you don't have a tight cheek/buttstock weld.

RKB, JTJ and PANDEMIC like this.