Mossberg 590 or 590a1, that's the ?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by glockcoma, Jan 25, 2014.

1. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Hey all I'm in the market for my first scatter gun. Shot plenty but as of now I own none. I narrowed my choices down to the mossberg 590 or the A1 model, I'm leaning more towards the A1 though, my only issue is if there really is more of an advantage into having the mill spec version than the latter. I know all about the heavier bbl, metal trigger group and safety, park finish and all that. But being that the 590a1 is almost 100 dollars more. IS IT REALLY WORTH IT. Looking for any insight that you fine folks have on here that owns 1 or the other. I'm kinda in a bind on this one, thanks in advance...

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I own neither but a hundred bucks is a rather small amount for any advantage.

3. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

I hear that MrMcCool!!!

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

GC, go with what works best for you, or the one that appeals to you more. If it was me. Keep in mind that I am on a fixed income, so a new scatter gun is a planed purchase with a lot of research, I would spend the extra $100.

FWIW, a standard M500 with a field barrel, and a smooth slug or 18.5 HD barrel used would probably last just as long and as well as either the 590 or the A1 for a reasonable price. Google 500 accessories and you will find several furniture options to replace the standard wood or synthetic furniture.

Not knocking the 590 or the A1, just giving you another option.

5. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Thanks kfox75, i will do that sir. I'm not really into all that tacitcool crap on my shotguns anyway I like them plain Jane, side saddle and a nice light and sling that's good enough for me..

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If it were me, I would rule out a straight 590 off the bat, because it's more or less a cool looking 500 with not many options to change it up, like you can't just slap a different barrel on it to deer hunt with or clay shoot or anything like that if desired. A 590A1 vs. a straight 500 is where the decision should be, do you want military specs on a tactical shotgun that will withstand a war, or do you want a gun that is just about as durable but with lots of options.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Another thing is if you break the composite trigger group it's not that expensive to replace. I have never broke a trigger group. I have seen people break the trigger guard. The complete trigger group is $32 at Brownells.

8. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Great points guys, I don't deer hunt or anything, all though subject to change. I just want an good home defense shotty and a shtf gun if need be, I am into prepping though. You know hope for the best but prepare for the worst type situation.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would look into a 500 combo if you are prepping. You get a 28" field barrel, with a full set of chokes and a slug/security barrel for just a few bucks more.

10. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

So I ended up going with the 590a1, ordered it from buds on the 29th and its shipped a couple days ago so its currently on the way. Needless to say Im pretty excited cant wait to get my hands on her, this being the first shotty I own.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My 590 Mariner is awesome. Has not failed me yet. Also, water/saltwater proof, which is excellent hunting in a temperate rainforest. Makes a great boat gun too.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  12. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

She is a beauty, what type of optic you have on her?

13. kfox75

Cngrats on your first shotgun. Don't forget to post picc when it comes in, so we can all drool over it.:D

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

A cheap Sight Mark Holographic Mini Shot.. It actually works and stays zeroed in after I remove it. I only use the optic when the shotgun is chambered with slugs. All that is really needed on a shotgun. I use the Aimpoint and Eotech on my semi auto rifles.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  15. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

I need to look into that, I like a bead sight that's why I went with the model 51660. I do plan on putting on an XS big dot on her though.

16. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

I do want an optic for slugs, but I wanna get use to shooting them with a bead first.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Best to learn with the bead in the beginning. Never know if the optics lose zero or malfunctions. :D

18. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Will do Kfox, tracking it says it will be delivered on Monday only due to the weekend.

19. kfox75

It's pretty simple to learn, as all it is is the difference between POA and POI. If yoiu are hitting low by 3 inches, and right by 2 inches, aim 3 inches over and 2 inches left of you intended POI. Also keep in mind that consistency is key. Find the brand and weight of slug that your shotgun likes best by picking up a couple boxes of each brand. When you find the one that your gun produces the best groups with, stick with that brand. Once you go over to optics, you can tailor your sights to work with just about anything you load up as long as it is the same as what you sighted in with.

I just hope you don't have the issue i did with my old Stevens single shot 12. It only liked 3 inch Activs ( The old all plastic shells) which I can't even find anymore. Not an issue for me as I no longer own that heavy triggered beast.

May your shipment arrive with no delays.

20. glockcoma

glockcoma New Member

Thanks for the tip, and I also do hope it come in time with no delays. Man let me tell you I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting on "Old Saint Nick"...