Mossberg 500C

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by 2ndamendment, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 2ndamendment

2ndamendment New Member

I am about to complete the Master Gunsmith course from PSU, and wanted to attempt to fix repair the safty on my Mossberg 500c 20 gauge shotgun. My grandson took the gun hunting last winter and returned it with the safty latch missing.

1. Do I drill out the trigger pin, or does it punch out?

2. I have already purchased the schematics from Numrick, but is there a repair guns book?

3. What tools, other then screwdrive, pliers & hammer will I most likely need?

Any information to assist me would be appreciated. As I am just starting out in this field.

Thanks
    Samuel B. Allen
    2nd Amendment Gunsmith & Pawn Broker
    (As I plan to name the shop - providing I get FFL authorization and all that good stuff.)

2. Atrawick

Atrawick New Member

Really? You're about to complete a Master course in GunSmithing. I don't mean to be rude but these are questions you should already know the answer too.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

No comment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim....

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With those questions, I would question what are you getting for your money.
    The first thing one learns is what tools and how to properly use them.
    Pliers have no place in a gunsmith shop. (I can understand the hammer, but make sure it is one BFH)

5. 2ndamendment

2ndamendment New Member

If you don't want to answer my question, keep silent, I don't need your comments.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The trigger pin punches out. When you pull the trigger group free from the action the shell stops (long pieces of steel on each side) will fall out if you don't watch it. I suggest the AGI courses.

7. 2ndamendment

2ndamendment New Member

Reply, Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I realized that once I noticed that it was a pin, and not a ribit. About AGI, I considered them but they do not except monthly payments. They want all cash up front. Poor people can't go that route.

However; I have been around and worked on guns all my life, and I believe with a schematics and a place to order from, like Numrick, I can fix about anything. I don't think you actually need a gunsmith certificate to be a gunsmith, (I'm a retired locksmith, but wanted something I could do as I relaxed) so I considered gunsmith, and took the course only for a place to order schematics and parts from, and I'm sure there's books out there along with the internet and U-tube where I can find info.

Thanks Again
    Samuel B. Allen

P.S. I too, am/or was a Kentuckian, born and raised in Greenup County, but left there in 1967. A bad mistake!

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

with a bfh a 6 penny nail and a 4 inch grinder you can fix it

9. dalesfirearm68

dalesfirearm68 New Member

i've seen several older guns end up with horse shoe nail firing pins lmao i prefer the good old lathe and rockwell test , oh and i must not forget all the books you receive when you attend an accredited school for gunsmithing.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

youtube is always your friends

11. gimpster

gimpster New Member

Umm no nevermind