Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

My father and I both just bought a used Mossberg 500 12 gauge 3" chamber. My dad's has a vent ribbed 30" barrel and mine has a regular 26" barrel. My dad's is in OK condition but needs a good cleaning, he got it for $150 out the door with a soft case included. I got mine for $110 out the door with no accessories included. Mine is in OK condition as well but the stock has a pretty good crack in it. We bought them 1 day apart and at different pawn shops. I'm posting pictures of my dad's. I pick mine up this evening (thanks to Illinois 24 hour wait). Will post pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow. How did we do on pricing? Mine does have an aftermarket flush mount choke tube on the inside of my barrel.

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, you both did great on the prices. i'd have jumped at either one at those prices. good score for both of you.:D

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Last unbarreled/unfired 500 action I bought for a project that had a rust spotted mag tube (I replaced with spring and follower for the hell of it) and surface rust on the ejection-port exposed bolt surface cost me what your complete gun did!

It shoots and cost $110 bucks? Win! New stock'll be cheap* -- find 'em for a few dollars at gun shows and a little more on the net, maybe even here for the price of shipping, as many folk replace the stocks with more "tactical" stuff.

*As a project try fixing crack! What have you got to lose!? Elmer's Wood (NOT Gorilla) Glue, maybe a drill and dowel w/a hammer, hair dryer, rubber strap...

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Today's market? At those prices? You crushed it ( if they are fully operable!)!!

5. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Yeah thanks everyone. I'm so pissed and upset with myself right now its not funny. Me and my dad both looked at mine before I bought it. We swore it was a 12 gauge. Well I noticed on the reciept they had down 20 gauge, so I checked just now on the gun (didn't have time when I picked it up or got home) and now I realize its not a 12, its a 20 gauge. We were both mistaken, and misread the barrel.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Dude, don't be upset. 20 ga. doesn't usually throw as much lead but that's a sweet gun! 3" chamber, right?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It is still worth $110.

I pheasant hunt with a 20 ga.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Still not a bad deal n today's market. Good buy.

9. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

yeah its still a 3" chamber

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Here's pictures of mine, it may not be the 12 gauge like I thought, but oh well now.

Attached Files:

11. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I name all of my guns, just came up with a name for it. Auge, which stands for el auge which is spanish for boom.

12. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

A cool gun. The 3" magnums will do what a regular 2-3/4" 12 ga. will more or less. But chances are you won't need them. I'd have bought it myself. Probably for more.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Biker, it's still a good deal even with it being a 20 ga. doesn't look bad at all. if it functions fine, then it's a dang good deal for sure.

i'd like to find a pump shotgun in 20 ga. myself. 20 ga. shotguns in my area just don't end up for sell. most people that have one tend to hang onto them.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Biker, have you even tried going back to the pawnshop and ask them if they could redo the sale for a 12 gauge? They maybe can work with you on the error???

15. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

No I haven't tried going back to the pawn shop as they was closed by the time I noticed it last night. I know they had no other Mossberg 500 in though and I don't want a shot gun unless its a Mossberg 500, so I decided to go ahead and keep this one. Afterall if I wanna shot a 12 gauge, my father can shoot mine and I'll shoot his, since we live together.

16. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

still i didn't do bad on the deal. Afterall according to what I'm finding online fair condition value price is $175

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You can add a 12 ga later and have a set. That is what I would do. :D

18. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Me too.

Can you list in order of preference the top three things you want the gun for?

Maybe we can suggest some ammo to optimize your choice of ammo. That's really where shotguns shine - versatility especially through ammo and choke selection.

19. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I only want the gun for 2 things.....target use and home defense.