mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dannykeaton23, Dec 25, 2011.

1. dannykeaton23

dannykeaton23 New Member

2. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I would not. You can pick up some snap caps if you wish to dry fire. If your just goiung to dry fire 1 or 2 times you can use a fired case.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Shotgun" area?

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

take a look at your owners manual, page 13, it tells you to function test (unloaded)= dry fire.
    but, if you chose not to dry fire thats up to you, the dry fire is also away to obtaine the mussel memory for trigger control. to qualify my statment, I have taken many Defensive shotgun courses and this method is taught.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I'm up in the air about the whole dry firing thing. I've did it in the military and never had any trouble with my weapons so I tend to think that it doesn't lead to any problems.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

As a general rule, I try to use snap caps if regularly dry-firing such as for training. I wouldn't be concerned about the occasional dry fire w/o snap caps. Except for a rimfire. Don't dry fire a rimfire. The fire pin is striking the edge of the rear of the cylinder or barrel and that's not a good thing.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I learned this lesson the hard way with my 597, and has to file off the burr created by dry firing my .22. However, I've had no problem dry firing any of my shotguns. However, I'm not an expert on the subject, so if it suits you better, snap cap maybe?

8. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Why do you need to dry fire it?