Mossberg 500 vs Remmington 870?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SquirrelMurder, Jun 15, 2013.

1. SquirrelMurder

SquirrelMurder New Member

Hi guys,

With money i've saved and from an upcoming birthday, I wish to purchase a shotgun, for recreation and hunting. Mainly, turkey hunting because deer season conflicts with football season unfortunately. So, any input on the age old questoin? Mossberg vs Remmington... Go!

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Ok fine....better quality of materials and safety on top where your thumb is.

3. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Mossberg. Reliability, value, versatility, products, customer satisfaction and support.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've yet to have a brand new 500 end up on my bench. Can't say that about the 870. Had a girl buy one. It rusted in her trunk overnight. She brought it to the the range and got 3 shots off before it jammed and ended up back on my bench.

5. mtnbadger

mtnbadger New Member

Well there clearly seems to be a strong liking for the mossberg here...I've never shot a mossberg 500 but I have a Remington 870 and haven't had any problems with it. I use it for turkey hunting mostly.

6. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Are you going to use 3 1/2 inch shells? If so then Mossberg. My friends have had 2 of the 870 Supermags? ruin the bolt and the extractor would no longer stay in the bolt.
    My 835 is over a decade old and all I've done is put a better front sling swivel on it. It is waterfowl and turkey gun with different barrels.
    I have no problems with regular 870s but no longer own one, my old ones were Wingmasters with 2 3/4 chambers, don't know much about the painted ones.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Here we go again smh

8. sbach311

sbach311 New Member

Mossberg..........

9. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Mossberg.....YAY for the bandwagon!!!!!!! :D

But seriously...Mossberg

10. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Remington 870 all the way! I hate the feel and function of the mossberg action. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I can't stand them. As for field stripping them, the mossberg is a real b*tch. Get the remington 870 express super magnum, it will take 3 1/2 inch turkey slayers.

11. mtnbadger

mtnbadger New Member

My friend also won the western NC high school shooting individual skeet competition with a mossberg 500.

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have several very old (1962)and several fairly new Mossbergs and I have never experienced a problem with any of them. My last Mossberg purchase was a 500 Persuader 20" for HD and it resides next to my bed.

13. rb522

rb522 New Member

Have both, love both. My 870 has been with me for 25+ years, and never has given me a problem. The Mossberg is the new baby, and I only have about 75 rounds through it. So far, I'm very pleased with it.

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Have an 870 with zero issues. Camo dipped from factory. It's the super mag express. Brother has a 500. I like it too. No complaints either way.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

If you are going to add a stock w pistol grip - get the 870. The 870 supermag is designed a wee bit differently. I was looking at my 870 owners manual. I have no experience w that mod but the std 870 has been around since the 1950s. (note: Express & Wingmaster two different grade of guns)

If Mossberg - 590 A1 is a better gun. Like any improvement, you will pay for it. The safety on top is really a competitive advantage on straight stocks in the field. I hunted w Mossberg 20 ga for many years and it is hard to adjust to my new 870 Express 20 ga.

If on budget, Weatherby has some interesting models especially their tactical model but I don't believe it comes w chokes.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  16. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

You cannot compare a 590 and especially not the 590-A1 to the 500. They are really very different guns and anything "590" is more "tactical" so, unless that's what someone wants, those are not great recommendations.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Oh, shoot! I forgot it was for Turkey season. 590s are for a different type of Turkey.:D