Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870 vs. Benelli Nova

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by The Godfather, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Remington 870

37.5%
  2. Mossberg 500

38.9%
  3. Benelli Nova

18.1%
  4. None of the Above

5.6%
  1. The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

which one would you choose out of the 3 and why?

for home defense?
    for hunting?
    etc?

the Moss and Rem. seem to be favorites and in the same price range, i just would like to see everyone else's opinion. and i just thre in Benelli in the mix since i have one and its in the same price range.

never used the Rem. 870, but know of its reputation. not much personal experience with the Moss 500...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i use my 500 for hd, hunting and just shootin the breeze:D

3. shnorse

shnorse New Member

i bought the 870 express combo.... have the riffled barel for deer, and the smooth bore for everything else.... all in one gun...

not the best gun... but for the money, i feel i got a good deal

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

My mossy has been my deer and turkey hunter for years. It is also a gun I would reach for in a hd situation.

I haven't priced shotguns in many years. Have Rem and Benelli come down to the same price range as Mossberg? I got mine when I was 18 and affordable. I wanted an 870, but could not afford one at the time.

5. jdnossaman

jdnossaman New Member

I've had a remington 870 express magnum 20 gauge and I have had it for 10 years it still works like the day I bought it. I ran thousands of rounds through it and haven't had any problems.

6. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I prefer my mossberg 500 for anything.

870 is nice, but the price difference doesnt mean anything. Mossberg is cheaper, but doesnt mean its any less durable.

S.S.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

10 years on an 870 is just adolescence. That gun will last you another 100 years. :)

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That mossy will last another 100 years.

why did I say the same 100 year dealio for the 870 and the mossy 500? Eek. :eek:

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I voted 870 because for home defense I have a tricked out 870. But for hunting, the Browning BPS wins hands down!

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

They are all good firearms, although, I use a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag because of it's 3 1/2" capability. 20" barrel for turkeys and a 28" barrel for everything else. Picked it up used 15 years or so ago and the rest is history.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

My pick would be the Mossy, but i have zero experience with the Benelli. I compared my ugly old ($100 at the pawn shop, on the way to a dove hunt) Mossy to a buddy's remington 870 & found no real difference except an annoying rattle from the Mossy's pump action. The mossy has never failed me, never hung up, no problems from it at all other than that rattle which doesn't seem to affect performance.

I am about to pick up an 18.5" barrel for the old Mossy & maybe a plastic stock with the "speed feed" gizmo.

If you are choosing a gun for heavy brush hunting, you won't cry if a pawn shop Mossy gets a bit scuffed. edit* I should point out that my technical knowledge of the mechanical workings of the modern firearm is nowhere near average for this forum; i made my pick simply from practical experience.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  12. Iowa Plinker

Iowa Plinker New Member

I owned both the 870 and 500.Too me the 870 was by far more reliable as the 500 did not stay together or with me.After it iside gave way I got my 870 and after 12 years of service it stii works like it was meant too.Blummer

13. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Whatcha think about this BPS as an HD shotgun?

[​IMG]

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I voted for the 870 because I prefer the feel and the controls to a Mossberg 500. I do not do plastic or 'flat' finishes, so small surprise that I think the Nova is U-G-L-Y. Take heart, Remington has introduced a competitor that out uglies it, if possible.
    As an aside, I have owned BPSs, and while they are very good guns, I really don't like having to load thru the magazine.

15. The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

you can find online places like ImpactGuns.com the remington fro around $360 and a Nova for the same, or a little more depending on what finish you want your Nova in...

personally, for HD, i would take the Nova. havent used a Mossberg 500, and have had SOME use with an 870. both the 870 and Nova have always been reliable (and durable) in my experience... One thing i do like on the Nova is that you can take out a chambered shell (without loading up another) with a touch of a button, pretty cool feature especially if youre using the shotgun for home defense and dont have the convenience of shooting a chambered shell that you didnt have to/want to...

but id be satisfied eitherway with an 870 or Nova.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  16. tantalfan

tantalfan New Member

best shotguns

in my opinion, both the 870 and mossber 500 would be great defense guns, but for hunting i would choose an 870 with a 24'' barell.

17. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Saiga 12 for zombie blasting, 870 Express for hunting.

18. Seanml89

Seanml89 New Member

I'm trying to decide between the 2 myself. I was actually at dicks (i know, i know) today looking at both the 870 and the 500 and a 500 cruiser. Its really hard to decide but i guess it just comes down to preference.

A lot of people say one thing they like about the 500 is that you dont have to take your hand out of the firing position to hit the slide release. The 870 you do but its right before the trigger at the tip of the trigger guard. IMO that doesnt really matter, the 870 actually felt more comfortable in this manner. Hard to explain why, but somehow it just feels better.

The 500 cruiser holds 7+1 I believe so that might be a selling point for me and other people,but it felt much MUCH heavier then the 870. However, for some reason the 870 just feels a lot more comfortable in my 19 year old hands then then 500 cruiser I held today and the 500 with a pistol drip I held today too.

The mossberg is already drilled and tapped, the 870's ive seen aren't. Are there more accessories for the 500 or 870?

I dont know I voted for the 500 when this thread first started but after I hold both I still cant deicide. When I got home from dicks I tried to go to dicks dot com and that didnt work out at all! LMAO!

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Just picked up a mossberg 500 new for $199. I plan on getting the 18.5 barrel and pistola grip later on.

I've used a few mossbergs and never had a problem. :)

20. bkt

bkt New Member

Had my 870 since '92 and have had no problems with it. No real reason to choose over a Mossy; both are reliable, good guns for a good price. My 870 is configured for hd right now, but a barrel swap of one sort or another converts it to a deer gun or a bird gun.