Mossberg 500 slug gun accuracy

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bowhunter17, May 18, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

How accurate is the mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel? How does its accuracy compare to the 12 ga Browning A-bolt and other slug guns? How about the mossberg 695?

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I will alternate between my Mossberg 835 with a cantilever mounted 3X9 scope and my Marlin 512 Slugmaster bolt-action 12 ga., also with a 4X scope and I haven't noticed any drop-off in performance.

The cantilever scope mount barrel is Mossberg brand. Both slug guns shoot every bit as well as I can make them.

3. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I've had a mixed bag as far as Mossy barrels go. My 12 gauge Trophy slugger is great, but I've had several iron sighted barrels we could not set the sights on and so far I've not seen one accurate factory 20 gauge barrel. I have one in my safe right now, thinking about having it shortened and recrowned cause we've tried about everything else. I would only get the cantilever barrel style because of the sight issue.

4. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Can the bolt action slug guns also use a smooth bore barrel?

5. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I could get out to 200 yards with Hornday SST's.

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

Non that I know of

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Not to my knowledge, but I haven't ever considered modifying it.

Here's a photo of one set up just like mine:

Attached Files:

8. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

Is it ok to use ammo other than sabot slugs in a rifled barrel? Like a plain lead slug with no rifling on the slug itself.

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

That sounds like a question for someone like c3shooter.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Some people say not to because it leaves lead deposits in the rifling...I have done it with pretty good success and accuracy and no trouble

11. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

It won't do any harm but you'll have a very very nasty case of lead fouling of you do it too much. And accuracy won't be as good although still might be acceptable.

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I have had pretty good accuracy out to 100 yards using rifled slugs...and you would have to shoot a bunch of rounds to get the lead fouling