Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Okie_6Shooter, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I got a good deal on this particular shotgun. It does have a few quirks that I am not quite sure about. I am curious to hear some of your ideas and thoughts. This particular shotgun will be strictly a defense gun that I will shoot every now and then out in the country but not for hunting purposes.

First off, it has a pistol grip only. I like the fact that it cuts down on the overall length which is nice as far as being able to go under a truck seat. If it's in the home then I would assume maneuverability in the house would be improved. I don't know if that would ever really come into play though. I'm thinking a collapsible AR style stock might be a better option. If I kept the pistol grip only what would be a good defense round that wouldn't absolutely bang up my wrist when practicing with what I would keep in it?

Secondly it has a barrel stabilizer. Does this actually serve any purpose whatsoever? I put some low recoil rounds through it and the recoil was very manageable with #7 birdshot. Not sure if it really has any impact though at all practically.

With this being an 18.5" smooth barrel with cylinder choke, how would one expect the accuracy to be with slugs?

Does anyone have this particular model of Mossberg? What are your thoughts having actually used it. Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393082096.351627.jpg

The picture says 23" barrel but mine is 18.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just out of curiosity, have you ever shot a shotgun with only a pistol grip?

i have. i even owned one once. i won't ever own another one. most people won't after shooting one. they look cool and such and in theory are more easily manueverable in tighter confines, but are harder to aim and hard on wrists. some people like them.

IMO a shotgun with a pistol gripped butt stock would be a better option.

3. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I took it and shot it for the first time after so bought it. That was the first time Id shot a pistol grip. Using reduced recoil #7 birdshot it was ok to handle. I know a true defense round would be a whole different story. If there is no real advantage to the pistol grip then I was thinking about either a collapsible or folding stock. I don't want to add a bunch of length but I was the gun to be practical moreso than just "cool".

I'm really curious about the barrel stabilizer and if it serves any real purpose.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I own several pistol grip only shotguns and several short barrel shotguns with butt stocks and have no problem with felt recoil or the ability to hit selected targets with slugs or shot. It does take practice using the point and shoot method just as it does with a handgun.

I see no difference in the felt recoil and muzzle rise of the Rolling Thunder and the PG only Mossberg 500 Persuader. IMO the barrel stabilizer is more for looks than function.

5. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

Dangit! I do not want to be on mall ninja status. Can someone please rationalize that it has an actual use lol

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

In my opinion, pistol grip only shotguns are great for 107 pound Hollywood chickies blowing away bad guys with blanks. Get a buttstock and lose that "stabilizer". 500 is a solid platform. For genuine home defense you don't need any tactical do dads.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The mossberg 500 is a good pump gun. Take that ridiculous muzzle device off put a good stock in place of the useless pistol grip and you have a good shotgun. Sell the grip and muzzle device on gunbroker...

Pistol grips are useless on shotguns unless you are doing breaching of doors it gives leverage for that. Its why the marines have them on the benellis.

Despite popular myth you have to aim a shotgun. No stock means any hits you get are luck.

Cylinder bore will get deer killing accuracy to 100yds.

2 3/4 00buck is the best defensive load for 12ga.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

It looks like that stabilizer thing adds length to the gun. Seems counter-intuitive, since you want a small, maneuverable platform.

Personally I'm not a fan of pistol grips or even collapsing/telescoping stocks on shotguns. Not my tastes. But I understand the advantage if your goal is a shorter gun.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

This is what I have on my mossberg 590
    http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

[​IMG]

Mine I keep loaded with 2 3/4 00buck with 4 2 3/4 slugs in the stock shell holders. Open the action tilt out the buck and drop in a slug if needed. Can't do that with pistol grip. Gives me 12 rounds on the gun without a bulky clumsy side caddy.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the Winchester SXP Defender with the 18.5" barrel and a five round tube magazine, and uses the buttstock shell carrier with five rounds.

if i need more than that 10 rounds for a home invasion, i am in deep doodoo anyways!

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Magpul, if the OP liked rolling thunder he is bound to like Magpul.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  12. DP03

DP03 New Member

Agree with everyone on getting a stock. As far as SD loads with manageable recoil, my favorite is the Hornady TAP 00 reduced recoil. My daughter @ 110 lbs shoots my 590A1 with ease using this load.....

13. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I appreciate all the feedback for you guys. It was pretty consensus on changing out the pistol grip for a stock. I had only shot reduced recoil through it with the PG an it was manageable but I'll take your word for it instead of a jacked up wrist with what it might be like with some 00 magnum buckshot. That being said I found a stock from ATI that I ordered yesterday. It folds to the left side so it can still be a bit shorter for storage in a vehicle. The "stabalizer" looks like it would have threads exposed if I took it off so I guess it will just stay on and I'll report back after I shoot it with some full power loads see if it actually reduces muffle lift like they claim.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393173653.962051.jpg and

14. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I have found that if you put the stock under your arm, the gun has the same maneuverability characteristics as the pistol grip in close quarters for HD/SD situations. Plus adds some stability, and gives you the option of a full stock if needed.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Lol. That's a funny typo.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

16. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

Lol autocorrect helps people spell but also helps them to look like idiots

17. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Nothing you can do about muff lift...just have to go with it......:D

18. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

Refer back to the quote about the Hollywood chickies. I heard muff lift is popular out there

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  19. natman

natman Member

Using any sort of pistol grip on a Mossberg will make the slide release and the safety difficult to operate.

I consider having the safety quickly and easily operable to be rather important on an HD gun.

P.S. That muzzle dohickey has to go.

20. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

Well I got an ATI stock on it and ordered a normal 18.5" barrel so if anyone is in the market for the barrel in the picture then hit me up!