Mossberg 500 Persuader vs Mossberg 590a1

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Hendoproof, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Can't decide between the two. I really want an 18" shotgun and parkerized finish, but I want the capability to add the mag extension on the shotgun as well. It would be possible for cheap on the 590a1, but the 590a1 is also significantly more expensive than the 500. The 590a1 has the heavy barrel and metal safety/trigger guard which is a bonus but not a huge deal. I think I read some where it is easier to clean the 590a1 as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As far as cleaning goes they are about the same unless you have a heat shield which adds another part to the mix.

If capacity is what you want, then go for the 590. It's not that much longer than the 500. If you want to have it as compact as you can, then go for the 500. Neither is really high capacity when you get down to it. If you need the extra rounds, then you need to develop the ability to continually load and top up.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

590a1 accepts a bayonet...cinched it for me. :p Actually I have both a 500 and a 590...no difference in performance but my 590 is 8+1, the 500 is 5+1

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The short 5+1 590A1 does NOT take a bayonet but CAN easily be extended to +1 or +2 rounds. It is also alot more manageable than the 20" 8+1 version.

The 20" 500 is nice. On the cheap, for HD, that's what I would do. But my favorite gun is the...
    590 Special Purpose. Get the 590, NOT the 590 A1.

5. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I plan on adding the mag extension so it's flush with the 18" barrel. Compactness isn't huge for me I think the two will be about the same. I want to add a flashlight to the front end as well.

A bayonet on the end would be pretty sweet lol.

Thanks for the input

6. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I'm really set on the 18" barrel. To my knowledge they don't make a 590 18" right? If they do I would definitely get that.

7. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

how about a laser?

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

i can make you one sawzall at the ready

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Haha, If I do anything with a saw its gonna be strapping a chainsaw to the front

11. Colby

Colby New Member

Hock
    I value your opinion.
    What is your reasoning for ..NOT.. the 590A1 ... and advocating the 590 special purpose??

I am also considering a Mossberg...

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Well if you need an excuse the trigger guard and trigger are metal not plastic so is the safety switch I believe..all Mil-Spec. 590A1 also has a heavier barrel than the 590 SP and the 500. Whether that's worth $100 or so is a personal decision. In my opinion, the 500 SP is perfectly suited to HD and splattering watermelons at the range...$100 buys a lot of target shells and 00 buck shot.

13. Colby

Colby New Member

Right out of "Doom!"

14. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Yea you pretty much got it. That's exactly what I'm struggling with now. The length, ammo extension capabilities, and heavy barrel or the length I want + a nice amount of ammo.. Been contemplating on this for months

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The 590 SP is a sweet handling hi-cap shotgun, that's all. Mine has a Poly-Choke like the 500 in the pic below.

OK, the 590 A1 is a serious gun. It is a friggin' tank. The picture below, representing my 18-1/2" A1, may persuade you to get one but it is definitely "military." More civilian-bent guns like the regular 500 (after changing the saferty switch to metal) would be more than adequate usually and better than a Remington...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

errrrmmm, I don't think you can add an extension but you can get another magazine tube and spring that is 18.5". magazine extensions go on 870's. The whole thing can be solved by getting a maverick 88 with an 7 shot magazine. You have an 18.5 barrel and 8 3" shot capacity. 9 shots if you throw a few 2 3/4" shells in the mix

17. Colby

Colby New Member

Thanks!
    Do you have an opinion ... 500 vs 590?
    I don't know much about the differences.
    I'm new to shotguns .... old to guns... :rolleyes:

18. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Nice guns and setups. Your a1 is what I'm going for in terms of features. What's your opinion on the ghost ring sights vs bead? I'm leaning towards bead for HD.

19. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Idk, seems to me alot of over thinking has gone into this thread. You want high capacity, heavier barrel and more metal parts get the 590a1 20" milspec. You want to save a few bucks get a 500. Save some more, get a maverick. Any of the above will give you years of good service.

I opted for the 590a1 20" w/marine coat. Been very happy with it.

Attached Files: