Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by MiZZuMMikE, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MiZZuMMikE

MiZZuMMikE New Member

Hey guys,

Im in the market for my first shotgun. I am torn between the 2 above models and would like to get insight from some of you that may own them or know more about them. FYI this will be a dual purpose firearm as I will use for some hunting but mostly home protection. I tend to lean more on the tactical side as I would prefer a pistol grip. Let me know what ya think!

Thanks,

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

Neither look at the benelli nova or Winchester super x pump

3. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Mossberg 500 with Recoil Absorbing 6 Position Folding Shotgun stock with Tactical Forend that's my set up and is more than perfect for home defense and hunting. Stock folds to the side as well

Attached Files:

4. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Considered both of those for my first shotgun, went with an IAC Hawk 982 which is an 870 clone. INCREDIBLE gun for the cost (under $300). Holds 5+1 and comes with ghost ring sites!

5. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Check out the new CZ612 model. It is coming very soon later in the month. 870's I have heard are too heavy. If anything, a mossberg 500. 870 is more of a police duty firearm TBH I am not an expert, just giving my philosophy.

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Remington 870 shotguns, the best selling shotgun in history. Need I say more?

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

In history that doesn't say anything about the new ones...Remington quality has went to Hell in the last few years

8. allegreenlee

allegreenlee New Member

I own one of each they are both great just pick the one you like better or buy them both haha.its funny how these are YOUR 2 decisions and every one wants you to pick different models.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I agree, and if you need to rely on this arm, well then, I'd go Mossberg personally.

10. 762

762 Member

cant go wrong with either. i bought a mossy 500, but that was because i already had a 700P and wanted to branch out lol. sanded it down to get rid of the bluing (i hate bluing) and duracoated it. holds 7+1, use it for home defense and F-ing around whilst shooting with my buddies, so i wanted something that was high capacity without having to buy a mag extension like you do with the 870.

put a flashlight on it
    [​IMG]

tritium front bead
    [​IMG]

and added an aluminum extended safety button
    [​IMG]

i'd say i have $450-$475 in it including the cost of the duracoat.

11. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Nuff said!!

12. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I own both and both shoot great, I personally feel more recoil on the mossberg cuz it's lighter but it also didn't cost as much and shoots great.. I love them both

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Flip a coin. I picked up a Mossberg 930 myself.

14. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

I have a Remington 887 as my home defense shotgun and I love it. Has smooth action, never jammed up on me and has a lot of rails to mount aftermarket parts on.

15. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I've never had an issue out of any Remington I've owned. I've never bought a Mossberg, but I have a good buddy that runs a LGS and he wouldn't own a Mossberg if you gave it to him. I personally have no opinion on the Moss since I haven't owned one, but I do know that Remington will stand behind their products should an issue arise.

I love that. It's like the big green monster, that you wouldn't want to turn the corner in the dark and come face to face with :eek:

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

There's nothing wrong with Remington. I prefer them to Mossberg, the only feature I prefer on the Mossberg is the tang safety

17. bdaniel9892

bdaniel9892 New Member

If you want pistol grip, the 870 because the safety seems to be more easily accessible. Heres my 870 Tactical. Bought it new with the pistol grip and mag extension tube from gander mountain.

Attached Files:

18. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

That sling is serious!!! Cool setup man. Makes my bone stock 870 clone look....boring ;)

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The sling is anything BUT serious -- it's a pendulum pulling the gun off target.

20. 762

762 Member

yeah, it's different, that's what i was going for. that and the green color looked darker on the duracoat website LOL. thinking about going back with another color or two and putting pattern on it. it's great though, dont have to worry about finger prints!

x2 on that, that's the only thing i dont like about the 500 and the only reason i havent put a pistol grip on mine.