Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im in the market for my first shotgun. I am torn between the 2 above models and would like to get insight from some of you that may own them or know more about them. FYI this will be a dual purpose firearm as I will use for some hunting but mostly home protection. I tend to lean more on the tactical side as I would prefer a pistol grip. Let me know what ya think!

Thanks,

·
Registered
980 Posts
Check out the new CZ612 model. It is coming very soon later in the month. 870's I have heard are too heavy. If anything, a mossberg 500. 870 is more of a police duty firearm TBH I am not an expert, just giving my philosophy.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
In history that doesn't say anything about the new ones...Remington quality has went to Hell in the last few years
I agree, and if you need to rely on this arm, well then, I'd go Mossberg personally.

·
Registered
560 Posts
cant go wrong with either. i bought a mossy 500, but that was because i already had a 700P and wanted to branch out lol. sanded it down to get rid of the bluing (i hate bluing) and duracoated it. holds 7+1, use it for home defense and F-ing around whilst shooting with my buddies, so i wanted something that was high capacity without having to buy a mag extension like you do with the 870.

put a flashlight on it

tritium front bead

and added an aluminum extended safety button

i'd say i have $450-$475 in it including the cost of the duracoat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey guys,

Im in the market for my first shotgun. I am torn between the 2 above models and would like to get insight from some of you that may own them or know more about them. FYI this will be a dual purpose firearm as I will use for some hunting but mostly home protection. I tend to lean more on the tactical side as I would prefer a pistol grip. Let me know what ya think!

Thanks,
I own both and both shoot great, I personally feel more recoil on the mossberg cuz it's lighter but it also didn't cost as much and shoots great.. I love them both

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
In history that doesn't say anything about the new ones...Remington quality has went to Hell in the last few years
I've never had an issue out of any Remington I've owned. I've never bought a Mossberg, but I have a good buddy that runs a LGS and he wouldn't own a Mossberg if you gave it to him. I personally have no opinion on the Moss since I haven't owned one, but I do know that Remington will stand behind their products should an issue arise.

762 said:
cant go wrong with either. i bought a mossy 500, but that was because i already had a 700P and wanted to branch out lol. sanded it down to get rid of the bluing (i hate bluing) and duracoated it. holds 7+1, use it for home defense and F-ing around whilst shooting with my buddies, so i wanted something that was high capacity without having to buy a mag extension like you do with the 870.
I love that. It's like the big green monster, that you wouldn't want to turn the corner in the dark and come face to face with :eek:

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
The sling is anything BUT serious -- it's a pendulum pulling the gun off target.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I love that. It's like the big green monster, that you wouldn't want to turn the corner in the dark and come face to face with :eek:
yeah, it's different, that's what i was going for. that and the green color looked darker on the duracoat website LOL. thinking about going back with another color or two and putting pattern on it. it's great though, dont have to worry about finger prints!

If you want pistol grip, the 870 because the safety seems to be more easily accessible.
x2 on that, that's the only thing i dont like about the 500 and the only reason i havent put a pistol grip on mine.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts