Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by GlockRenegade, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I really like both of these shotguns. Ive shot a mossberg not a remi. Im leaning towards a Mossberg 500 22 gauge 20 inch barrel. Mainly home defense/shooting purposes. What do you think I should get and why? The Mossberg is $330. I cant spend over $400 on this one so cost is a factor. Thoughts?

2. billt

billt New Member

I'm guessing you meant 12 gauge with a 20" barrel?? I'm not sure where you live, but Big 5 Sports currently has the Mossberg 500 "Combo" gun for just $299.00. It is a 12 Gauge, 5+1 capacity and comes with BOTH a 18" Cylinder barrel, and a 28" Modified barrel. That's a pretty good buy if you really think about it. The extra barrel alone sells for over $75.00 in most places. It allows you to have a gun for hunting upland game, and in just a minute switch out the barrels and have a very good home defense shotgun without breaking the bank.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I don't even use the longer barrel. I hunt pheasant with the slugger barrel and limit out every time.

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Hahaha are you tryin to start a war here with another 870vs500 thread? :p personally i would and always will recommend the 870. I have had one for years and other guys on here have 870's older than i am. I have never had a problem with it and many doves met their maker because of it!

5. Hdq

Hdq New Member

My stepdad has an 870 its okay it is reliable its heavy but im going to by myself the mossberg 500 at big 5 here in az they sell the mossberg 500 that comes with 2!! Barrels for 320$ and the aftermarket barrels and parts for the mossbergs are cheaper and more available making it a bit more coustomizable the mossberg 500 is also more of celibrity than the 870 the mossberg is a bit famous in songs like spm jackers in my home he says gotta make it to the closet where i keep my mossberg lol they are both good guns in my opinon. the remington 870 is probably aimed for the older crowd of shooters alot off old timers grew up with an 870 mossbergs are usually picked by the younger generation of shooters since it is the most talked about in music and movies its probably the shotgun theyll grow up with both are great guns try to shoot both and see what you like i like mossberg because of cost, Reliability dosent have the floor plate that the 870 does and it has dual extractors and it a little bit lighter and i like the controls on it

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Dont listen to hdq. He is just jealous he doesn't have an 870 to brag on :p

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Personally I think the new 870s aren't great. I've had three of them on my bench in the last few months. One was brand new. The owner put it in her trunk to bring up to the club to show off. She took it out of her trunk and it was rusted. I gave it a complete going through, treated all the rust and took her to the range. She got off 3 shots and it jammed up solid. I had to pull the trigger housing to un-jam it. She got a few more shots and it jammed again. I made a few adjustments and she finished off the box of ammo took it home and hasn't touched it since. She was disgusted with it.

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Hmm first ive heard about these problems. Is this isolated or have you heard about other similar problems? I have an 870 thats 15-20 years old so i cant testify to the brand new ones.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've seen it and heard multiple instances of similar issues. The older ones are fantastic.

10. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Thats to bad. I love my 870 wouldnt trade it for anything except maybe a 12ga in The same model and year. Remmingtons in general have kinda had a loss in quality havent they?

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Seems that way unfortunately.

12. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Lol yea 12 gauge 20 inch barrel. Im in San Antonio TX area. Academy and Basspro. Also lots of LGS

13. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Great info guys. The reason Im leaning towards Mossberg is for one, they were at a time the first and only shotgun to pass the military 1334 or SOME test - please dnt bash me cause I know thats not the correct sequence of numbers lol. 3000 test, testing durability, functionality and reliability. Plus I really like the tang safety and the feel of the gun.

If I had $1000 there would be no conversation and Id already have a Bineli :)

14. billt

billt New Member

You have to remember not all 870's are created the same. The "Express" models are constructed far more cheaply, with a much lesser degree of detail applied to fit and finish. The Police and Wingmaster guns are fitted and finished much better, and they contain all metal trigger groups, not plastic ones. The "Express" models are cheap, budget guns, where as the Wingmaster and Police Models are top of the line pump actions. Hence the large difference in price between the two.

15. Hdq

Hdq New Member

The mossberg 590 was the only one to pass the military test. not the mossberg 500

16. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

I say go with the Ford lol sorry couldn't stop my self

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

What the heck is the difference in my book..................

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Both are good guns. Pick the one you like the most. If you like the weight and placement of controls on the Mossberg then it should work well for you.

I have a 500 and an 870. Like them both.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

So many choices, so little room. Full-sized man? First one. For smaller guy and women too? Second. Both SWEET!

Attached Files: